PDA

View Full Version : newbie earth bonding

dave_k
26-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi all
this is my first post so quite new here and to the refrigeration trade. I an working as aengineers mate on refrigeration installs. I have just passed my 17th edition but have yet to gain a lot of experian within the trade. ok my question?
I recently assisted installing a large walk in freezer to which i did the wiring with some guidance from the engineers. Now on the evapourater drain is a heater coil which wraps around the copper pipe which is connecteds to the evap drain by a plastic fitting then the pipe runs outside to the drain. In my opinion this drain shoud be bonded as the only earth conetion under fault conditions would be human contact.
cheers
Dave

Chunk
26-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi Dave

Yes just earth the drain pipe to the main earth in the electrical panel and all should be ok.This is normal practice.

Oh and welcome to RE:D

Kh1971
26-04-2008, 10:25 AM
it is so nice Good luck

Grizzly
29-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi all
this is my first post so quite new here and to the refrigeration trade. I an working as aengineers mate on refrigeration installs. I have just passed my 17th edition but have yet to gain a lot of experian within the trade. ok my question?
I recently assisted installing a large walk in freezer to which i did the wiring with some guidance from the engineers. Now on the evapourater drain is a heater coil which wraps around the copper pipe which is connecteds to the evap drain by a plastic fitting then the pipe runs outside to the drain. In my opinion this drain shoud be bonded as the only earth conetion under fault conditions would be human contact.
cheers
Dave

Dave.
I have just read your post.
What form of heater are you useing??
Because the normal form of heater tape. Is Self Regulating Double Insulated.

It's a while since I last read up on this But surely you don't need Earth Bonding on a Double Insulated heater tape?
Or has the regs changed again???
Cheers Grizzly.

wilks
05-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Shouldnt the actual metal frame around the evap be bonded allready ?

wilks
05-05-2008, 08:16 PM
sorry!! assuming the thred is metal and not plastic!! that the drain connects to !

taz24
05-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Copper drains need to be earth bonded. They are insulated from the evap by the plastic conection. If the heater tape was ever to get damaged and short out to the drain it would be lethal to anyone who touched it. The drain pipe needs to be earthed.

taz.

wilks
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Copper drains need to be earth bonded. They are insulated from the evap by the plastic conection. If the heater tape was ever to get damaged and short out to the drain it would be lethal to anyone who touched it. The drain pipe needs to be earthed.

taz.

arh taz , sorry i forgot about that , just in the same way when bonding sinks and taps all must be done individually ( cold water , hot water and sink ) because of the rubber wahers and and seals ! doh !:p

taz24
05-05-2008, 10:05 PM
arh taz , sorry i forgot about that , just in the same way when bonding sinks and taps all must be done individually ( cold water , hot water and sink ) because of the rubber wahers and and seals ! doh !:p

Don't worry about it.

When you've set fire to the drain like i did once because you wrapped it to tight with the wrong heater you learn things like this:D

Cheers taz.

wilks
05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Don't worry about it.

When you've set fire to the drain like i did once because you wrapped it to tight with the wrong heater you learn things like this:D

Cheers taz.

oops sounds scary !

taz24
06-05-2008, 12:37 AM
oops sounds scary !

I'd finished and was ten mins from store when phone rang and I was informed that the coldroom was smelling of burning.:rolleyes:
I turned round and got back to see the heater tape all chared, burnt and melted. Fourtunately the fuse blew when it shorted out and because it was a freezer it was too cold to cause a spread of thre fire.
A bit embarassing but I managed to sort it out without too much micky taking from the other lads:confused:

Cheers taz.