PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to find a replacement compressor

540itouring
24-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi , i have got a car aircon recovery / recharge machine of which has a faulty compressor of which must be seized up. I have removed the compressor as it has screw on connectors but think these may be able to be fitted onto the new compressor ? . The compressor is a AMERICOLD and was told that DANFOSS made these and are no longer made ? . I have taken some pictures with a link so you can look at the compressor and see if you know what i can fit in its place. The uint was able to be removed easy as no gas was in the system when not in use unlike a fridge etc as this compressor i think is only used in recovery mode to recover R134A from a car to a recovery tank. I was also told that it could be a ELECTROLUX TG14 ? does that mean any think to you ? any help please would be great. Voltage required is 220/230 volt uk mains. This compressor also has a 130MF starting capacitor that is switched in via the starting relay. Because i am new i can not post a link to the pics i have so what can i do ?

Thanks for all your help in advance

540itouring
24-04-2008, 11:22 PM
picture link start with http : //
tiny url.
com /5589rq

just rejoin this address and i hope it works to see my pictures

The Viking
25-04-2008, 12:12 AM
http://rh5faq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pP-u6q2ld7KgENpmPEsIoSTFpyXsscxkJ8bImwL6XkxpWu93dDmthEUaKVOZPgC3agnp8Vg7BZy-LHAKoExMs6Q/IMG_1239.JPGhttp://rh5faq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pP-u6q2ld7Kh2oWkNA-kmo3wsKax-fcyz7jG18-5TsLhxIuoT-VMU91J5-6K8jU-iit_w9Bzrqvxx5i9Znb_N2w/IMG_1249.JPGhttp://rh5faq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pP-u6q2ld7KhWNODAu2s36f_gJjCqISFoLfJOq93cXnyVWze9ZzQlVGvKW-3usuWGU0L0gqz_5TwmgpOG7JV5mA/IMG_1250.JPGhttp://rh5faq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pP-u6q2ld7Kim1TYPKKusK3tGphtAiH4iQfp5CNNSoCDrKj0KDA9eH62BpukndfP9c-iVoXgbn_D4Hm4tfsOhPQ/IMG_1252.JPGhttp://rh5faq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pP-u6q2ld7KjiIoGKghYQmHEUAAiOtCPA24cVVkKWYavykimvx4-jGPONlRJdazacnzPYfYfYlcE_u5K6ceeEIQ/IMG_1253.JPGhttp://rh5faq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pP-u6q2ld7KiJqBRNhhWfSRB-puEkRdF6WurwsVguu__YvqdFReb4dwrIO40-1cxe2L4loj7hN7GHGJ4pnQQQKg/IMG_1254.JPGhttp://rh5faq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pP-u6q2ld7KhIwYxfLokJ7Rue6DffVEbnyxMInB8Kk8F2EeAxJUQiP3m6MAqnYLtnMhMvK49uMjPwuBcW4BFHKw/IMG_1255.JPGhttp://rh5faq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pP-u6q2ld7KjpbPqyYh7YMl6IcbsLFqZ9RB6EHxNe8Xs9YGpfot0aaVUAGBBfi8W92JbZANspopckB9MJo_U5iQ/IMG_1256.JPG

So, slightly easier.
;)

The Viking
25-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Sorry, I don't recognise the compressor...

The screwed connectors looks like if they are brazed on to the compressor's studs, doubt it would have looked like that when it left the compressor manufacturer.
(The reason to have screwed connections there is to enable easy oil changes, as the oil in a reclaim unit requires frequent changes)

The good news is that (in my simple mind) the sizing of a compressor in a reclaim unit isn't critical.
Look at the electrical data, select a compressor of similar (physical) size and electrical rating.

Or, if you tell us what the make and model is of the reclaim unit, I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you exactly what compressor to get.

Good luck

540itouring
25-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi , thanks for posting some of my pics. The recycle machine is a SUN (SNAP ON) KOOL KARE 134 of which was made approx MAY/2000. I would like to know more about these compressors as far as are all the connection pipes (3) the same posision and function ? . I would think they were suction / output and oil return ? I looked in the owners manual but could not see about oil changes so what type of oil and how much would be required ? Do new compressors come with oil ? and also how does the oil get put in ? via one of the pipes ? if so the top one ? Thanks for all your help so far. Do you think that the screw connectors could be heated and removed and refitted to the new compressor ? The screw fittings loot to be made of brass so would these just be soldered as brasing would melt them ? This unit also has its own vacumme pump of which the oil is changed as stated in the book so i wonder if the compressor oil would still require changing , Thanks for help

The Viking
25-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Where in England are you based?

By the sound of it, you could do with getting in touch with a local fridge guy.

BTW, the reason for frequent oil changes in a reclaim unit is that when you reclaim refrigerants from a system any and all impurities is collected in the oil of your reclaim unit's compressor.
Some manufacturers recommend the oil to be changed as often as after every reclaim but I doubt that ever happens in real life.

The Viking
25-04-2008, 07:30 PM
From the Kool Kare's user manual:

The oil in the compressor assembly must be changed quarterly
to prolong compressor life

The full manual is available from Snap-on's website:
HERE (http://www.snaponequipment.com/ProductInfo/models.asp?category=ac&brand=Snap-on&model=EEAC304D)

monkey spanners
25-04-2008, 07:46 PM
If you can get the model number and any other numbers from the compressor we should be able to find and equivalent if not exact replacement. Americold is electrolux or ACC as they now call themselves and are available from many wholesalers in the uk.
Most likely you will have two suction ports and one discharge port, the extra suction port is normaly used for charing with refrigerant when the compressor is in a refrigerating system and then sealed off, but in your case it is used for another purpose.
The (1/4" 45% flare?) screw connectors are about 50p so i'd get some new ones with the new comressor, They will need to be brazed in with a high silver content rod such as 'silverflo 38' used with flux.
Your existing compressor may have had the oil changed from ester oil which is what most fixed refrigeration systems run with R134a to Pag oil to match the type of oil used in vehicles. If this is so you will need to drain the ester oil and refill with Pag of the correct viscosity and amount.

Jon

540itouring
25-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Hi , thanks for all your help so far. The compressor fitted is a AMERiCOLD 3.9FLA 18.0LRA SR312-12 2953
1624-3453. I live in CROYDON SURREY England. I will check that manual for info on oil change but the manual for a KOOL KARE that i saw that said about compressor oil changes did not have a built in vacumme pump like my unit does. The version that said about compressor oil changes had a drain point and is a earlier model i think. I will check that manual now

540itouring
26-04-2008, 12:00 AM
I have checked the snap on web site but the models shown look almost the same but do not have a separate vacumme pump like mine does. Also if you look at the pipe / diagram layout that model shows the compressor listed as a vacumme pump and i think this compressor must be used to vacumme as well as recover. I think that this is why that oil has to be changed. The manual i have with my unit only details vacumme pump oil change and not the compressor.

The Viking
26-04-2008, 12:56 AM
If you read the manual that I linked to, you will see that the vacc pump is an optional extra and that if a high quality vacc pump is fitted, then the oil change period is extended to 6 months.
[they also specify how to carry out oil changes and what oil to use]

Still,
Hopefully someone near to Croydon will offer to change the compressor for you...

Good luck.

540itouring
26-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi , i have looked at my unit with ref to the manual link and most of the manual is the same. The section of the manual wher it says remove bolt and tip compressor up on hinge does not apply to this unit so the compressor will require to be removed for a oil change. I just tilted my oil compressor over to drain the old oil and a very small drop came out so no wonder the old compressor seized up !. I do not see any problem with me fitting another compressor apart from finding one to replace it with and obtaining new screw connectors to go with it. I would also have no problem to get the screw ends braized on to the new compressor as i have a friend with his own garage . Please can members tell me what compressor i need to order and where can i order this from. Thanks again for your help.

monkey spanners
26-04-2008, 10:02 PM
I can't find any details on Americold compressors, some other sites say they have ceased trading.
Based on the run and start current you have stated i think you are looking at a 3/8 hp compressor, something like a ACC GP12TB, ACC GP14TB or ACC GP16TB which all have a 3/8 hp motor but have 12cc, 14cc and 16cc displacement respectivly. If nobody else comes up with some information, maybe you can cut open your existing compressor and measure its displacement.
Any new compressor you get will most likely have a suction and discharge connection on the same end as yours has and the second suction conection will be on the other end by the electrical connections, you will need to extend this to suit your recovery machine.

Jon

540itouring
27-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I have looked in the manual that came with the machine and it says compressor displacement 31.7 L/min. Does that help . Also other manuals look like they show the compressor as a 1/3 hp . Would that all make sense.

The Viking
27-04-2008, 04:31 PM
As I said earlier, it won't be critical to get the right compressor as it's a reclaim unit we are talking about.

If you ask Dean & Woods down in Leatherhead or HRP in Orpington they will be able to help you to get a similar compressor.

monkey spanners
27-04-2008, 05:10 PM
1/3 hp seems a bit small given you running and starting current. ACC don't list a 1/3 hp HBP compressor for R134a anymore. A 12cc displacement at (assuming 2 pole motor) 2700 rpm gives 32.4 L per minute fad. This would be an ACC GP12TB 3/8 hp compressor with a 3.1A run current and 13.5A start current.
Dimentions are W192mm x H204mm x D162mm. Weight 11.2KG. 5/16" suction connections and 1/4" discharge.

You would do well to contact a wholesaler such as SRW on 01273 455530 and give them your Americold compressor details and see what they come up with. They would also be able to supply you with the 1/4" access fittings you will also need. They take credit card payment so you don't need an account with them.

Jon

Dr.Dave
16-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Hey I have a Snap on Eco 134 it takes a long time to recover and won't vacum past about 20 hg.The pump look identical.Though the numbers arediff.I,m in USA.Is the cc of the pump important to get the same? mine says Americold 234 85FLA 30 OLRA SR312 1 29279 0156879 0512975 any ideals?

monkey spanners
16-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Dr.Dave,

What you have got is a recovery machine which is designed to remove refrigerant so you can work on a system, in your case i'm guessing car ac.
It is not a vacuum pump. You would not want to be running it much below 10"hg, those compressors were never designed to run in a vacuum for various reasons.
Most of those fractional horsepower reco units are very slow, it could be worn out but as it will reach 20"hg i don't think so.

You will need to buy a dedicated vacuum pump (and change its oil regularily) if you opening connections to change components in the sytems. A good vacuum gauge will tell you if you have reached a suitable level of vacuum in the system.

Atmospheric pressure is about 760,000 microns, a good vacuum pump will pull down to 50 microns, just as an example of how empty a system needs to be to ensure it will work trouble free for many years.

Jon

Dr.Dave
16-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Do you know that because of the model of the machine or the pump it self.That sounds like it makes sense.The owners manual and the machine has a vacum mode.I read somewhere some had one had one with a seperate vacum pump.Do you think new it may have worked ok but not a good design and would wear fast?Or do you think this unit is missing the pump?It doesn,t seem to be tampered with inside. guess you could bolt a pump to the tray by the bottle.

monkey spanners
17-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I have not had anything to do with those snap on mashines, but no piston compressor will achieve the level of vacuum that is ideal when servicing refrigeration and air con systems.
For this you need a two stage rotary vane pump with special oil, these are all open drive with an air cooled motor and a pump in an oil bath (look up vacuum pump on google images) unless your machine has one of these too it will never achieve a full vacuum. 20"hg is a good effort for a compressor on its own.

Ideally the machine needs to do two functions, recover refrigerant which is what the compressor (motor and pump all in one can) is designed for and vacuum which is what a vacuum pump if for.

Most fridge techs will have seperate machines to do this but working from site to site is different to working in a garage when your work comes to you.

We would also be leak testing with nitrogen to be sure the system is leak tight before re charging with refrigerant.

Jon