PDA

View Full Version : oil vac charge/vac oil charge??

N.Lewis
24-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi guy's.
Working on York chiller, about to replace oil and recharge with 407c, now i would have vacuumed system first, then used vac to draw in oil and then charge, but another engineer advised oil in first then vac then charge...Any other input:rolleyes:
Thanks..

1torr
24-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Your way is the way I do it, then continue with vac down to acceptable vacuum, then add refrigerant.

agitator
24-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi guy's.
Working on York chiller, about to replace oil and recharge with 407c, now i would have vacuumed system first, then used vac to draw in oil and then charge, but another engineer advised oil in first then vac then charge...Any other input:rolleyes:
Thanks..

CRAZY THAT ENGINEER!!!!!!!

first, flush with n2 gas (optional)
2nd, vacuum then hold to make sure no leak
3rd, charge oil if possible continue running vacuum pum

note: york oil mostly not reccommended to expose to air for long period, oil could probably absorb moisture

N.Lewis
25-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks guy's, new i was right, but then when someone say's something else it plants that seed of doubt in your mind, just thought i would make sure.:D

Grizzly
25-04-2008, 03:19 PM
CRAZY THAT ENGINEER!!!!!!!

first, flush with n2 gas (optional)
2nd, vacuum then hold to make sure no leak
3rd, charge oil if possible continue running vacuum pum

note: York oil mostly not recommended to expose to air for long period, oil could probably absorb moisture

N.L.
Truthfully it makes no difference which way around you do it.
However sucking the oil in using the negative pressure created by the vacuum makes sense. As it is physically less demanding. And usually somewhat quicker.
Also as you add the oil you are reducing the system volume that you are trying to vacuum out.

Not quite sure what agitator is refering to when he says"York" Oil. and you are hardly going to be exposing it to air for a long period with either option.
Good point about the absorption rate though!
Any SYNTHETIC oil is capable of absorbing 10% of its volume in water over a 24hr period.

Teaching to suck eggs I know but watch the oil levels if you are sucking it in though.
Often I have overfilled Comps through being inattentive or distracted.
cheers Grizzly.