PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting Literature

GWard
08-08-2003, 03:15 AM
I am currently trying to help out some maintenance staff on a building regarding some Carrier reciprocating refrigeration compressor packaged water cooled units, R22, 3 per unit probably about 10 Ton cooling capacity each.
Would anyone know where I could get hold of technical information detailing basic checks that should be carried out on a daily/weekly/monthly basis for example;

check oil level, suction/discharge pressures etc.

and any trouble shooting guide in the event of problems.

Many thanks in anticipation

FreezerGeezer
08-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Have you tried www.carrier.com? You'll often find that manufacturer's websites only have data on current product, but you may be lucky.
Failing that, your best hope is to find a friendly Carrier employee, as I understand that they are loth to provide any external technical support.

Gary
08-08-2003, 11:41 AM
For general trouble shooting procedures and strategies, you might want to check out the books available at my website. These can be shipped from the UK, as well as the USA.

rbartlett
08-08-2003, 07:38 PM
hmm..this scares me somewhat..i was doing some work for a london factilites company and the guys asked me what to expect when looking at the gauges...the more i went into it the more confused they were and the more concerned i became..

i then went onto a company who's comp room a/c split was not cooling-running at 98 psig suction....yes they'd been 'at it'

as an example if they saw a suction pressure of 58 -is that a good sign or a bad one?

should the head 220,230,240,250,260.?

you just end up digging a big hole for them and you...

in all honesty if they want to check anything

check
sightglass -when running
oils s.g when running
suction pipe cold to touch
all fans running
water split

as i say it was scary watching their little faces cloud over after only a few minutes talking..

(bit like mine does when marc goes into one ;-)

cheers

richard

GWard
08-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I am out working for a short time in Jamaica. The skills here are pretty limited and bottom line is, that these are the people I have to work with. I had some excellent notes on chiller unit operation and maintenance from my old days in PSA via their Log Book system, but don't have them with me. What I need them to be able to do is identify if there is a potential problem and contact a suitable maintenance company to carry out repairs. If I don't teach them they will never learn anything, and given that there are no maintenance records since 2000 it is a problem. When I looked at the chillers they were short of gas, low on oil, two compressors stripped down 3 years previously and not rebuilt etc. The list goes on!!

rbartlett
09-08-2003, 06:58 AM
then maybe techmothod books are the answer..i've never seen them but understand they are 'monkey see-monkey do' air con books..

cheers

richard

p.s i hope you're in negril ;-)