PDA

View Full Version : Splitting 1 3/8 suction pipe?

eggs
21-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Hello all.

I have an install where i need to run some 1,3/8 pipe through a very tight wooden loft space. Obviously i want to avoid brazing in here.
Is it possible to split the suction up into say 3 soft 7/8 pipes to get me through?

Any thoughts greatly received.

Eggs

nike123
21-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Hello all.

I have an install where i need to run some 1,3/8 pipe through a very tight wooden loft space. Obviously i want to avoid brazing in here.
Is it possible to split the suction up into say 3 soft 7/8 pipes to get me through?

Any thoughts greatly received.

Eggs

Cross-section of 1,3/8 pipe is about 9cm^2 and one 3/8 pipe is 1,17 cm^2. You need 8x3/8 pipes to replace one 1,3/8.
Find other solution.

Frostycold
21-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi Eggs
Simple answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll have to find another way. Welcome to the Dark side of installation. Seriously though try some alternatives ie cut the pipe so that you're left with a braze in the safest spot, or you could have a flexi-pipe made up as they do in transport refrigeration. Depends which is cheaper the pipe or a new loft
Regards
Frostycold
Regards
Frostycold

SteinarN
21-04-2008, 04:59 PM
3 x 7/8" has slightly larger cross section than one 1 3/8" pipe. I cant see why it should not be ok. It is not uncommon to use double risers. This would be like triple risers.

nike123
21-04-2008, 05:29 PM
3 x 7/8" has slightly larger cross section than one 1 3/8" pipe. I cant see why it should not be ok. It is not uncommon to use double risers. This would be like triple risers.

I see, I was wrongly read 3/8 instead of 7/8. My bad!:o

SteinarN
21-04-2008, 05:45 PM
I see, I was wrongly read 3/8 instead of 7/8. My bad!:o

Long, hard day at work mayby? :)

nike123
21-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Long, hard day at work mayby? :)

Nope, this morning I could not start my van because some half-drunk-fool (me of course:o) leaved head lights on. Ok,Ok, I should install relay but this van is only two years in my possession! ;)

Brian_UK
21-04-2008, 11:48 PM
If I might add one suggestion....

If you do use multiple pipes try and get a fall on them so that gravity helps any oil movement along with the velocity.

eggs
22-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I explained my concern to the client and he shared my fears, so......he's arranging for the builder to open up the roof so that we can braze and feed the pipe from the safety of out doors.

Cheers All

Eggs

flamer_the_spar
22-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi.
One of my suppliers stocks compression fittings for refrigeration pipe. You need a special crimp tool to pull the joint together. No brazing!

They are expensive, some 1 1/8 couplers cost about £8.00 each and the tool is about £100 ish.

Cheaper than fetching the roof off.

Flamer_The_Sparky

flamer_the_spar
23-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Sir this is not hot water.It must to withstand 41.5 bar pressure test.;);)

Yes???

Of course its not for water!

They are DESIGNED for refrigeration pipework.
Some distribution depots we install to will no longer allow hot working permits.

Will bring the catalogue home tomorrow night and post the details on this thread.

Been using them for some time now and never had one leak.

They dont tighten up like a standard compression fitting.

The tool to make the joint is a big tool and really takes some wack to make the joint.

The joint is permanant and the fitting can not be taken off again.

Quite a clever system I have to say.

As for the pressure test, they have a massive pressure rating, are CE certified and approved for refrigeration in the UK.

Major problem is the cost as they are not cheap.

Flamer_The_Sparky

nike123
24-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Yes???

Of course its not for water!

They are DESIGNED for refrigeration pipework.
Some distribution depots we install to will no longer allow hot working permits.

Will bring the catalogue home tomorrow night and post the details on this thread.

Been using them for some time now and never had one leak.

They dont tighten up like a standard compression fitting.

The tool to make the joint is a big tool and really takes some wack to make the joint.

The joint is permanant and the fitting can not be taken off again.

Quite a clever system I have to say.

As for the pressure test, they have a massive pressure rating, are CE certified and approved for refrigeration in the UK.

Major problem is the cost as they are not cheap.

Flamer_The_Sparky

Are they Vulcan Lockring?
Read this thread:
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3611