PDA

View Full Version : new coldroom installation

chilltech
21-04-2008, 04:25 AM
hi there guys,i am new to this site and finding it very helpful.we are installing a new fruit and veg coldroom for a wholesaler,8mx6mx4m with a 3m sliding door to allow for loading by forklift.on other installs i have seen these doors can be left open and the units run struggling to keep the temp down.i was thinking of putting in a door activated switch in the control circuit along with a delay on timer that would shut the system down until the door is closed,and the delay would prevent short cycling if the door is opened/shut several times.is there a better solution?also the unit is to be roof mounted 4metres above the coldroom feeding 2 kirby evap coils,with p traps on each coil outlet.what else should we consider on the piping as i am getting conflicting ideas from suppliers?any help would be appreciated thanks

US Iceman
21-04-2008, 04:55 AM
i was thinking of putting in a door activated switch in the control circuit along with a delay on timer that would shut the system down until the door is closed.

I don't think that will do all you want it to. Shutting off the refrigeration systems won't solve the problem. The difference in air temperature (outside minus inside) and the door area are the more determining factors that affect the ability of the refrigeration systems to maintain temperatures.

If you can provide a control system or device that helps to keep the doors closed as much as possible I think your results would be better.

daddyfixit
21-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Hello chilltech

Have you considered draft restrictive devices for inside the cooler when the door is open?

Example: clear curtain strips or an easy swinging door that would open both ways to allow the fork truck to push through. That would reduce the load on the equipment while the door is open and allow easy access to the cooler. It would also eliminate the need of added controls that could fail in the future.

K.I.S.S.;)

Wish you the best...

smpsmp45
21-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I agree with US Icaman. No Point in having a control for the Door & unit interlocking. This can create unnecessary problems. You can consider Fast moving vertical door to keep check on this door openign issues.

chilltech
22-04-2008, 05:36 AM
thanks for the suggestions guys.....i will look into the clear swinging doors as an option..accompanied with an annoyingly loud open door alarm.i have read alot of posts on this site and learnt a great deal already....its a great site keep up the good work :)

apgurgaon
22-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Hi Everybody,

I am also new to this forum.Already finding it to be a great place.

Just one experience sharing here: Curtain strips if used in a fork lift operation scenerio , sometmes becomes a nuisance. as they pickup a lot of oil & dirt etc from the in & out moving fork & also get damaged soon. Proper quality selection also makes a difference.Frequency of changing could also be high.

Thanks,

Peter_1
22-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Try to install the evaporators so that they don't blow direct to an through the door.

Air curtains are a good choice. What Apguargon said is right but you must provide a solution for this problem.
The best advise you can give your customer is that he must close each time his door when he's in the cold room and open it as less a possible.

We have on some freezers a button which switches off the cooling for a preset time (+/- 2 minutes) so that they can pick some goods without the blowing freezing wind.

If the door goes open very often, then you must add this additional load so that the total installed cooling capacity will increase.

Be careful with automatic sliding doors which closes again after some preset time. I have a customer where we have this setup because he wanted it and we installed already 2 new doors. The man inside forgot the door close and didn't see it very well through the air curtains.
Or someone walked outside the freezer and thought someone forgot to close the door while the reachtruck was inside the freezer, loading a pallet.

Alex Harvey
23-07-2009, 04:39 PM
PVC Strip Curtains as already advised will cut down warm / humid air entering and the cold air dropping from the freezer. For heavy fork lift traffic 'ribbed strip curtains are better as the ribbs take the scratched and dirt leaving the flat portion clean. There is more pictures on this site and discriptions www.pvc-strip-curtain-warehouse-plastic.co.uk

Also consider a 'pod' external to the freezer door which would act as 'air lock' which could be cooled or dehumidified (moist air getting into the freezer adds greatly to the heat load).

Frosty
23-07-2009, 05:38 PM
As previously mentioned, nothing beats a good old audible siren/flashing light assembly - the loudest one you can possibly get your hands on is preffered!!!! Set it to go off approx 15 seconds and I guarantee it won't be left open much.