PDA

View Full Version : Good old annie

Cary
30-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Can anyone help me with a wireing diagram or principle of operation for the old Annie complete hermetic unit and electrical systems analyser.
They were available at least up until the late 80's but now seem to have droped off the end of the earth.
They had a series of capacitors to help kick start as well as in line ammeter voltmeter and ohmmeter for diagnostics.
They also had a method of changing the phase angle to enable you to run the compressor in reverse and hopefully rock a stuck compressor free.
I didn't have a lot to do with them when they were available but have recently had a few jobs where they may have come in handy.
Is there a reson for their demise ,were they a heap of crock or is the world just changing to a "too hard to fix therefore replace" mentality.
If anyone can at least explain the method of reversing the rotation of a hermetic compressor without opening the dome I will a lot wiser than I am now. Thanks

herefishy
30-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Hi Cary :)

On a single-phase motor, you can simply switch the start and run terminal connections. Apply power only momentarily (bump it). Assuming the relay and caps are good, you can sometimes break a stuck compressor free.

Whenever I do this however, I usually find that the compressor has dropped a rod or spun a bearing, and the thing starts doing the whatoosie on the roof deck. :D

I don't think that I have ever bumped a stuck compressor, then left it in commission. But there is certainly a great deal of satisfaction to get thing to do the two step for you, then there is NO question that the compressor re-fit is called for. :)

herefishy
30-07-2003, 03:32 PM
OH, and if you are troublshooting a fractional horsepower pot, you can use a start kit (not a hard start cap, but the cap/relay/overload combo thingy which usually employs a solid state relay for use in a range of notor horsepower ratings). By removing the terminal mounted relay, you can hook up the unitary start kit and reverse the start and run connections as I previously described. ;)

As for the demise of the Annie - it was a BOX, wasn't it. LOL These days you've got your Fluke meter which will test Ohms into the megohm scale and capacitance check into the nanofarad scale, etc. I worked for a feller who had Annies on the trucks. I never used it. It seemed that the purpose of the annie was to remove the start components from the compressor circuit in order to test the motor, without the interference of a bad start component. These days, the start components are easily checked.

I think today's "Annie" is referred to as a 3-in-1 start kit. LOL ! ! ! !

:)

andrewuk
13-09-2003, 01:02 AM
out in deep dark africa we used an annie,we used it mainly as an amp metre as when we had a stuck compressor we would change it,we tried some unstuck and they never lasted .

in the end we made up some amp meters in boxs with power sockets so when we repaired and test ran units we could see whats amps it was pulling,mutch easier and more convenient.

Graham
26-09-2003, 03:08 PM
I found a diagram in the back of an instruction manual. Unfortunately it got a bit damp and the pages stuck together so the picture is not that clear. If you still need it I will scan it and send it. I still have the annie and could open it up and see what is inside if required. I found rocking stuck compressors more of a nuisance value as they nearly always resulted in comebacks.

tony_rich
27-09-2003, 02:28 PM
I kicked started many compressers w/higher volts or switching ph. I would change them the next day, all but two the custermer wanted to wait and see. One lasted two yrs. one two day.
the one that lasted two days he wanted it done right then and now. It was a odd compersser only one suppli'er had it locally.
now this was funny it was a new 15 yr compersser the guy who run the store woud not sell me a ex-warrinty. so I pasted on it drove 2hr two got the compresser and 5yr. ex- warranty.
The comperssor may have never been used but it did sit for 15yrs
I would of got it if he just sold me the warranty.

That suppy co. is no longer with us.

micron
09-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Hi the new unit that replaces the annie is a digital compressor analizer. will test and run up to 5hp single phase.will even megger compressor. refrigerative supply sells them i'm from
vancouver canada
regards Brian.

Squiddly
27-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi all, I still have an original "Annie". Still gets regular use although its undergone several rewires due to its age.
I too have found that a "stuck" compressor would run but rarely lasted more than a few days. Its a great tool on those jobs where you have that niggling doubt that the compressor start electrics arent quite doing the job.
Most amusing the day the start capacitrs decided to go awol though. A very solid "thump" sound followed by a lot of smoke. :)