PDA

View Full Version : Using Manufacturers names on brochures

IceMan08
14-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi all, just a quick question: Is it ok to put down manufacturers names on a brochure to drum up business?:confused:
I havent used logos, I did try but me and word processing programs dont get on:mad:!
all I put was 'unlike some companies we are not tied to any brand, we can install, but are not limited to: Daikin, Toshiba, LG, Sanyo, Hitachi, and Mitsubishi.
I dont think it should be a problem as it is obviously an un-biased list towards any particular brand, it was only because someone mentioned it I thought I'd better check- that and the brochures will be in the press within the day:eek::confused::eek:!!! If someone could please clear this up for me, Ta!:D

Brian_UK
14-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Personally I don't see a problem as it is rather like saying that you use a Biro or a Hoover when in fact you mean a pen or a vacuum cleaner; they are a bit generic in nature.

I would rephrase it to say "we do install, amongst others" as against "can". This way it shows 'general' capabilities and not specifics.

Also, not printing logos does save on the expensive colour inks ;)

frank
15-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Here's a little excerpt from the Space Airconditioning Plc's Terms and Conditions - it may help

"No Photo/graphic/presentations should be downloaded from either Space Air's or Daikin's website without permission. Anyone taking this action without first obtaining correct approval will be acting outside of Space Air's Terms & Conditions and also breaking Copyright Laws"

I would suggest that it would always be prudent to ask permission first. :)

paul_h
15-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi all, just a quick question: Is it ok to put down manufacturers names on a brochure to drum up business?:confused:
I havent used logos, I did try but me and word processing programs dont get on:mad:!
all I put was 'unlike some companies we are not tied to any brand, we can install, but are not limited to: Daikin, Toshiba, LG, Sanyo, Hitachi, and Mitsubishi.
I dont think it should be a problem as it is obviously an un-biased list towards any particular brand, it was only because someone mentioned it I thought I'd better check- that and the brochures will be in the press within the day:eek::confused::eek:!!! If someone could please clear this up for me, Ta!:DYou can't use photos or logos without permission, as they are stylized and copyright, but just saying the name is OK.
Otherwise how would auto wreckers or other parts suppliers be able to say what brands they have parts for in their ads?

IceMan08
15-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Thats what I was thinking paul, as long as I havent used their logo or their name logo It should'nt be a problem!anyway theyre off to print now! thanks for your help guys!

Abe
15-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Thats what I was thinking paul, as long as I havent used their logo or their name logo It should'nt be a problem!anyway theyre off to print now! thanks for your help guys!

You need to obtain permission first, usually they dont mind if they are confident that presentation of their logo on your material will add to their perception.

Using without authority is definately a no no