PDA

View Full Version : suction line drier.

Joeheath
08-04-2008, 09:58 PM
what is the purpose of using a suction line shell drier with a conical standard core drier on a heatpump chiller with no liquid line drier installed. The chiller
was manufactured like this and has had no compressor burn outs?

Brian_UK
09-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Where is the drier located ?

If it is in the compressor suction line then I do not see a problem.

taz24
09-04-2008, 12:24 AM
what is the purpose of using a suction line shell drier with a conical standard core drier on a heatpump chiller with no liquid line drier installed. The chiller
was manufactured like this and has had no compressor burn outs?

I take it, it is fitted into the suction line?
I have no explanation except,

perhaps the guy who designed it thaught that by installing it in the suction when the time came to replace the core it would be easier and safer to put it in the suction not the liquid line.

I do not know the answer though that is my best guess.

Cheers taz.

powell
09-04-2008, 01:28 AM
what is the purpose of using a suction line shell drier with a conical standard core drier on a heatpump chiller with no liquid line drier installed. The chiller was manufactured like this and has had no compressor burn outs?

Maybe it was designed this way because they didn't want to use a LL bi-flow drier, (depending on the age bi-flows might not have been available), or install two driers.

Economics and physical room might have also dictated using a replaceable core suction line drier.

At least they used a replaceable core drier which implies they had future service in mind.

paul_h
09-04-2008, 08:48 AM
edit: sorry, I missed that part about it being a heat pump, I just saw "chiller" and geussed cooling only. So yeah, it's probably because they didn;t want to or couldn't get bi flow driers

Joeheath
10-04-2008, 08:59 PM
thanks for replies found out there is'nt a big enough
capacity LL-bi-flow drier for the capacity of the chiller.