PDA

View Full Version : absorption chiller

torrman
07-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi guys lloking for some advice to recommision a large Thermax absorption chiller.I winterised it last year by leaving it with a standing pressure of 3 psi of OFN.
As I understand it I release the OFN and vac out for approx 48 hours and then let the plant engineers introduce the water.Hope this makes sense.
All advice welcome

The Viking
07-04-2008, 07:51 PM
???
I must admit that I'm at a loss here,

Are you talking about the refrigerant /ammonia side or the chilled water side of things?

torrman
07-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I believe this chiller is hot water driven and the "refrigerant" is the water.Hope this helps.

frank
07-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi Toolman

Has the machine kept the pressure over the winter? If not the bursting disc may have been breached by the pressure.
Did you measure the amount of pure deairated water you took out of the machine?

You can't just vacuum for 48 hours and hope that the internal vacuum will be satisfactory. You must have a Torr Gauge fitted and achieve at least 6 Torr which holds steady for 24 hours.

After you charge the pure deairated water, keep and eye on the vacuum level for the first few weeks, you will find that you need to purge more often

swaminathan van
08-04-2008, 10:50 AM
hi torrman, i think you are talking about a single effect chiller using steam or hot water.i note the post by the moderator and he is right .
has all the water been taken out of the machine? if so then it is important to know the exact quantity as it determines the dilution of libr just before it tends to crystalise.
i presume the machine has its own evacuation system and it is on all the time the machine is running.
if an external vac pump is used then it is better to put in the water charge while pulling the vacuum as there will be dissolved air coming out of the water.
if a high vacuum is acchieved before starting then the plant will run trouble free.
hope this helps.

absrbrtek
09-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Why would you shut the machine down this way? I have never heard of this being done like that.

absorptionkid
24-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone done it by nitrogen pressurizing @ 0.2 barg before? Maybe not worth for just winter... Just wanted to know some opinions about this...