PDA

View Full Version : Service/Maintenance charges?!?!

IceMan08
07-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi all, recently decided to go it alone and was wondering what sort of prices you charge for servicing/maintenance on ac (ceiling cassettes/wall mounts and small condensers?
thanx:confused:

gloucesterfridg
07-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Perhaps you would prefer an introduction letter to all our customers highlightling what we charge them?

The Viking
07-04-2008, 07:43 PM
The best thing you can do is to estimate how many hours it will take you to do the service and then multiply that with your hourly rate...

Makeit go Right
07-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Another idea:
decide how much you minimumly would accept to maintain ONE system, TWO systems, THREE systems and FOUR systems. After that you would check out the job on half-day or full day's work, maybe. But decide what you want minimumly. eg, maybe you are happy with £25 for maintaining one system (And maybe not, but lets use that figure.)

Alright, now you approach your would-be customers and say, how much are you paying for the maintenance on that ONE system? He says, "£50," at which point you say, "Well, I can do better than that; I can do it for £45."

If the chap says "£35", same routein, but maybe you say "£30" to undercut things.

And if he says "£10," you say. Sorry Mate, that's a great price you have there, I have to walk away.

It is not so much what someone says they charge a customer --- it is more what the customer in front of you is paying and whether you can better it.

The Viking
07-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Hmm,
Can I say that I strongly disagree with MgR...

Customers pushing prices and jumping ships like that is not worth having. You will always get arguments over invoices with them.

It takes a bit more selling, but sell yourself on your strengths and find customers that are willing to pay for what they get.

Your best selling point in a couple of years will be customers that renewed their contracts with you over and over again.
Imagine giving your contract book to a prospective customer and saying "this is the list of my current customers, give any one of them a call and ask what they think of me"...

Good luck.

Brian_UK
07-04-2008, 11:43 PM
It does surprise me that someone decides to "go-it-alone" without having done any sums as to whether they can make any money.

Or, who their customers are going to be.

Radlam
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I've recently gone it alone to0, and i've found planning every little thing I do to be the key.

Its hard work trying to do all your research, sums, paperwork (lots of damn fookin paperwork) aswell as scouting for new customers, aswell as keeping your current ones happy. I really need to get me a sexy secretary hired who works for the thril of the air con industry and not for money :D

Its no good just asking other people what they charge, as their outlays might be significantly higher (or lower) than yours are.

As people have already said, you need to work out how much you would like to earn realistically and then how many hours you think you can put in per week. But remember, when workin for yourself, you only get paid for when your doing a job. So you might be out for a ten hour day, but if your only onsite for 5 and the rest is travelling or waiting around your not gonna acheive your desired income. Make sure you factor this in aswell.

I cant really offer much advice as im new to it all too, but good luck and stay away from my turf :)

Daikin=Overated
09-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Hello there.

A tad off topic but..............

I don't know how much work there is in your neck of the woods mate, but if you want my honest opinion I would wait for the market to strengthen before going it alone. It's the worst time (barring that of the last recession in the 80's) to be taking the plunge.

The housing market scare/Amercian credit crunch in opposite order, is essentially at the route of it all, but it filters through like a black plague to all sectors of industry, and ultimately you and I trying to get paid by a client who's waiting on somebody else to get paid, and guess what they just went bust! It's like this at the moment.

Bit dramatic perhaps, and i'm sure others will say there loaded with work and they don't know what I'm on about, but in London it's always been cut thoat. Now, in my experiences of late people haven't got the budget or inclination to spend out on luxury comfort cooling (less there on contract with me of course).

I'd go back on the cards and ride the storm out for another year to see how things pan out personally. I started self employment when I was 25 three years ago, and have had a great time with it, it's looked after me, but I sacrificed a social life pretty much throughout that period, and grafted my nuts off to get where I am. So far this year would have bankrupt me alone if it wasn't for the savings from the year before.

As Dylan once said..........."The times they are a changing". Not for the worst one can only hope!

J

Contactor
09-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Stay away from fixed rates, use brain instead.

IceMan08
10-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Thankyou for all your replies, I have done the sums and investigated the market im aimed at and know what sort of income i need to generate, just wanted some rough figures to check im not wildly overpriced or worse underpriced-I dont want to undercut everyone and put you out of business!!!lmao!!
gloucesterfridg that would be very kind of you, my email is attwoodaircon@btinternet.com
radlam,"I really need to get me a sexy secretary hired who works for the thril of the air con industry and not for money"
....dont we all my friend, dont we all!!!
and as for "but I sacrificed a social life pretty much throughout that period, and grafted my nuts off" thats fine mate _ I used to do service for denmans, so that'll be nothing new!
Viking,thanks for the info-I like your style!
Thanks again all :)

stevo
10-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Thankyou for all your replies, I have done the sums and investigated the market im aimed at and know what sort of income i need to generate, just wanted some rough figures to check im not wildly overpriced or worse underpriced-I dont want to undercut everyone and put you out of business!!!lmao!!
gloucesterfridg that would be very kind of you, my email is attwoodaircon@btinternet.com
radlam,"I really need to get me a sexy secretary hired who works for the thril of the air con industry and not for money"
....dont we all my friend, dont we all!!!
and as for "but I sacrificed a social life pretty much throughout that period, and grafted my nuts off" thats fine mate _ I used to do service for denmans, so that'll be nothing new!
Viking,thanks for the info-I like your style!
Thanks again all :)

Go for it mate ! Just don't charge too much, be honest & your customers will learn to trust you. Give promp service (turn up when you sat you will) & you will slowly get work through recommendation. I wish you the very best of luck.... :)

Daikin=Overated
10-04-2008, 09:01 PM
On reflection........My post was a little "doom & gloom". Not my intention to put you off entirely-just raising the issue over lack of consumer trust in the economy at the mo. ;)

It is of course an exciting opportunity, and there are many ways of reaping the rewards, plus the job satisfaction over being on the cards to boot!

I wish you the best of luck!

J.

gloucesterfridg
12-04-2008, 09:04 AM
On reflection........My post was a little "doom & gloom". Not my intention to put you off entirely-just raising the issue over lack of consumer trust in the economy at the mo. ;)

It is of course an exciting opportunity, and there are many ways of reaping the rewards, plus the job satisfaction over being on the cards to boot!

I wish you the best of luck!

J.

I think it was most relevant. Most here were not in the refrigeration/ air conditioning market in '90 so have absolutely no idea what a recession is or how it affects businesses from an owners perspective.

Don't think Denmans was the first or indeed the last to go under this year..

philfridge
12-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Just to give you an idea my crowd charge £100 call out and £43 per hour but this is london area :o they are greedy yes ?