PDA

View Full Version : stay away chef!

PAXFREON
23-07-2003, 10:50 PM
I have a problem with a chef who is constantly toying around with the low pressure control and t-stat settings. I have told him several times not to make adjustments because he obviously has no idea what he is doing. Today is the third monday in a row I had to go back and properly reconfigure the settings. Should I tell the owner? I really don't want to get him in trouble.

Has anybody ever expierenced this type of problem

herefishy
24-07-2003, 02:09 AM
Hi Pax :)

You should definitely document all your findings, and bill them !

Always specify the settings that you indicate on your invoice, and on the return trip, specify the settings that you find. I would definitely inform the management owner of this scenario, because that is who is paying the bill !

On the other hand, there obviously must be a problem, otherwise Chef would not be inclined to fiddle with anything. You need to look past the blinders, there, and investigte what (that is undesirable) that is ocurring that causes hefe to fiddle witht the settings.

Sounds to me like it's a grill base or something. give the particulars, and we can advise. self-contained, reach-in refrigeration in a commercial kitchen which is temperature controlled by a low-pressure switch is generally a bad idea (even though some mfgrs may employ it).

I suggest we investigate the application, and identify the problem, as opposed to frying the cook !!! ;)

PAXFREON
25-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Fish,

herefishy
25-07-2003, 09:11 PM
no, NOT FISHING... :)

I know exactly what you are talking about.

But if there is NOT a problem, why is Hefe changing the settings?

Does Hefe give a reason for changing the settings? :confused:

More accurately, in response to your first post, Yes, I have experienced this. And usually when it happens, there actually is a problem witht the operation of the equipment. ;)

PAXFREON
25-07-2003, 10:57 PM
its a walkin cooler that they use for prepping...her reason is, it's too cold for her prep people to work in there during normal operation of the box!

Do you thin I should put a switch on the evap fans so they can turn them off when they are inside? she said they are usually in there for 10-15 minutes at a time roughly 3 times a night

Dan
26-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Yep, but make sure along with a pump down liquid line solenoid. Maybe a door switch would be safer. Tell them to leave the door open when they are prepping and to be sure to close it when they are done. The problem with manual switches is that sooner or later somebody forgets about it. It is more difficult to forget to close the door.

Abe
26-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Pax,

Good guy or not, this chef guy, you look at him in the eye and tell him, " Keep your greasy grubby fingers OFF any refrigeration controls"

Or else.............

I had one chef you messed around with a Thermostat yesterday..............then they call me, I reset it, then they dont pay.................Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You see, I installed system last month...................they want it all under warranty

Gary
26-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Yep, but make sure along with a pump down liquid line solenoid. Maybe a door switch would be safer. Tell them to leave the door open when they are prepping and to be sure to close it when they are done. The problem with manual switches is that sooner or later somebody forgets about it. It is more difficult to forget to close the door.

I'm thinking maybe a timer would do the trick. They would hit a switch to turn it off, then fifteen minutes later it would automatically start running again.

Latte
26-07-2003, 11:39 PM
I think the most common cases of people playing with things they shouldn't is A/C controllers. I have lost count how many times i have been to a store with OLD !!!! equipment aledgedly not working only to find someone has adjusted he stat to as low as it will go thinking the a/c works quicker that way & frozen up the evap causing no airflow and/or waterleaks where it defrosts

PAXFREON
28-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Aiyub
Pax,

Good guy or not, this chef guy, you look at him in the eye and tell him, " Keep your greasy grubby fingers OFF any refrigeration controls"

Or else.............

I had one chef you messed around with a Thermostat yesterday..............then they call me, I reset it, then they dont pay.................Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You see, I installed system last month...................they want it all under warranty

Hahahhaa...I like your style my man!!!

herefishy
28-07-2003, 08:57 PM
I would tell the owner/management that the kitchen is turning off the refrigeration and endangering the his product and the public (and his business for that matter). I would go to Wal-Mart and buy a jacket or two, and sell them to the restaurant. :D

Abe
28-07-2003, 09:51 PM
The " Law" in the UK forbids any employee from engaging in any activity outside his Conditions of Contract, changing a plug is also not allowed.

This is to prevent accidents and falls under Health and Safety Regulations.

Now this Chef, he has a problem so he makes a few "harmless" adjustments . What he should have done is called you in to identify the root problem.

Alert the management, that you need to be there when the problem occurs, so you can check and see the problem and offer a solution.

The Chefs tinkling of controls delays the solution process, and places his health and those around him in jeopardy.

Youre the expert..............Its your job to diagnose and issue a prognosis

" A little knowledge is.........................."

Heck, this chef is getting me mad, I feel lying flying over to the States and giving him a flap with a salmon...........

ps: What an excuse for a holiday!!

angryk
29-07-2003, 12:57 AM
They should make t/stats for A.C. with a minimum setting of 68* for all those hard heads out there.

herefishy
29-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by PAX*****
its a walkin cooler that they use for prepping...her reason is, it's too cold for her prep people to work in there during normal operation of the box!

So it's a prep room, huh? What temperature is being maintained? 35degF is pretty dern cold to be standing in and working an 8-hour shift. Usually 45degF is standard temp for prep rooms. I don't know if new regulations has lowered this requirement. OSHA probably has some standards. It sounds like the business has not properly accommodated its employees for the conditions in which they are required to work.

:)

frank
29-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Most food prep rooms over here that I've been to are kept at 12C although some have been at 6C. We've done a few for the military at 12C. can't say I've been in one at 35F! damn that must be cold for a full shift!!

Ayb - like your quote about slapping someone with a salmon :D must say that thought has crossed my mind a few times :p

Dan
30-07-2003, 01:41 AM
I'm thinking maybe a timer would do the trick. They would hit a switch to turn it off, then fifteen minutes later it would automatically start running again.

Actually, that's not a bad idea either. We have a chain that has tried it both ways. I think they have moved back to the door switch, but I am not sure why. But they used a device similar to the ones I used to see on the infra-red lights in hotel bathrooms. You could set it for up to 20 minutes or so.

Probably the way to go in this instance.