PDA

View Full Version : valves from compressor

martinw58
04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
this is a picture of a discharge valve from a prescold compressor it was removed from a reclaim unit and the valve plate that it was removed from have you seen a valve reed bend like this befor

SteinarN
05-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Ouchh, nasty sight.

Looks like it has been a very high temperature. Is it the discharge valve reed which is bent? Could it be the temperature has been high enough to soften the material in the valve reed enough to make it bend like that?

nike123
05-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Is it posible that hydraulic hammering and overheating is responsible for this bending?

SteinarN
05-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I think that is more likely that hydraulic hammering and overheating is responsible for this bending.

Agree about hydraulic hammering on a inlet valve, but it looks like it's the discharge valve which is bent. This will also be the hottest valve.

powell
05-04-2008, 05:24 PM
this is a picture of a discharge valve from a prescold compressor it was removed from a reclaim unit and the valve plate that it was removed from have you seen a valve reed bend like this befor

martinw,

This is definitely an overheating issue.

The most obvious effect of overheating is the breakdown of oil and carbonization at the discharge reed and discharge side of the valve plate. Copper plating and carbon is a byproduct of heat.

This puppy must have been extremely hot to bend the reeds. I would think there would also be more damage in the crank.

taz24
05-04-2008, 08:31 PM
martinw,

This puppy must have been extremely hot to bend the reeds. I would think there would also be more damage in the crank.

Yep, yep, yep seems to be running a tad hot:D

Is it a single comp or is it one of a pair? you also state that the comp was on a reclaim unit. I take it, it was a heat reclaim unit?
There is a lot of heat generation there.

cheers taz.