PDA

View Full Version : New Toshiba unit won't start..?

expat
04-04-2008, 08:59 PM
I fitted a 5kw toshiba this week. It's a system where the int unit can be mounted ceiling or console, it might be called flexi in England.

After all was fitted I used the remote to demand cooling upon which the int unit started to blow but the ext unit never kicked in. After three minuites the int unit gave me fast flashing operation and timer lights fault.

Int unit RAS-18GFHP-ES-3 (reversible)
Ext unit RAS-18UA-ES4 (cold only)

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate hearing them.

chillin out
04-04-2008, 09:06 PM
I take it you have wired it correctly so it sounds like there could be dip switches on the indoor unit which are set wrong.

Chillin:):)

philfridge
04-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Maybe the units are no match and so the wiring is incorrect ??

Kp3
04-04-2008, 09:28 PM
interconnecting wiring fault

expat
04-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

indoor/outdoor are conected by 4*1.5g. They are all in the right place.

Chillin out, you might have a point as the int unit did have two switchs; although one was for paremetering if the unit was for wall or ceiling fitting. The other I beleive to have been for remote control parametering.

Perhaps you are however reffering to dip switchs located inside the electic box within the interior unit. Is this the case?

Kp3
04-04-2008, 10:16 PM
hi expat
i'm going off toshiba and that both ur op and timer light is flashing at 5hz at same time. pls confrim?

chillin out
05-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Perhaps you are however referring to dip switches located inside the electric box within the interior unit. Is this the case?
Yes, a lot of a/c units have dip switches to allow setting up of the unit.
(same pcb does a wide range of units so they have to be able to alter settings)

Chillin:):)

expat
05-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Kp3, yes I would say about 5hz. Both operation and timer are flashing rapidly.

expat
05-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Karl, I just noticed you are viewing this thread.

Any ideas?

Kp3
05-04-2008, 01:38 PM
yep the fault code is interconnecting cable.
the thing with toshiba inverters, is they confrigure there self. it can anything from 5min to 15min.
we've only had 1 problem with the thousands we've installed and that was the air handling unit pcb and infra red pcb.

expat
05-04-2008, 01:44 PM
The thing is though, it's not an inverter. I think Chillin is on the right tracks as the int unit is reversible while the ext unit is cool only. Maybe the int pcb needs setting up for this config. I don't have any manuals for this product and have to wait until monday for advice from the supplier.

Kp3
05-04-2008, 10:15 PM
rite not an inverter. try the transformer on cond unit make sure its got an output. then can work from there poss could be dipswitchs

Loops
07-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi Expat,

All the above ideas \ suggestion are good and valid but they over look the actual problem.

You have a heat pump indoor unit connected to a cool only outdoor unit. They WILL NOT work together.

You need a RAS-18UAH-ES4 heat pump outdoor unit.

This system is not an inverter type.

KP3 you can't blame Toshiba for a mixed match installation that isn't kosher.

Expat time to go back to your suppliers and ask why they sold you a miss-matched system.

Cheers

Loops

expat
07-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Loops, you are The Man!

I went back to the supplier this morning who most contritely admitted his mistake.
After being made to understand the difficulty of installing the interior unit he agreed to replace the exterior unit to match the interior unit.

So the client now has a reversible system at the price of a cool only.

Again, well spotted Loops. I saw the discrepancy on the delivery note but just assumed that the supplier knew what he was doing and that the two units would be compatible.

Anyway, system up and running now and customer happy:)

Kp3
07-04-2008, 09:11 PM
fair comment. was told they work but threr u go:rolleyes: