PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Fridge Freezer warm on the outside

AutoZaf
02-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Morning all, Newbi here.

I have a Bosch KGU32121GB that my wife tells me is warmer than usual on the left hand side panel. Should we expect this unit to be warm to the touch on the outside?

The units abuts a kitchen cabinet on the right hand side, but only for the height of the freezer. The left hand side is completely open, expect for when the kitched door is open, but the door doesn't sit tight to the fridge freezer anyway.

It's not the whole panel that's warm, but more of a hotspot at the front edge, starting about 8 inches below the top of height of the freezer door.

Thanks in advance for your help.

nike123
02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Check your user manual and ensure that free space around unit is as specified there.

Electrocoolman
02-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Some units use a skin condenser (akin to a chest freezer) so they are designed to get warm on outside.
Has your unit got a black pipe and wire condenser on the back?

The other design feature is that they run a pipe around the freezer door area to keep that area warm.

As Nike says...check your instruction manual, and make sure ventilation is adequate...both at bottom and on top rear of unit.

AutoZaf
02-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Many thanks for the replies. I'll pull it out and dust it down. There are possibly a whole bunch of toys underneath.

tonto33
02-04-2008, 09:18 PM
On most refrigeration there is a “hot-pipe” that runs around the door aperture of the machine, this applies to most refrigerators, fridge freezers and freezers, that is designed to heat any excess condensation helping it to evaporate away. To see condensation around the door, or to feel heat there, is not unusual and is part of the normal operation of the unit.

fridge doctor
10-10-2008, 05:16 PM
For your info, the pipe around the door of the freezer is there to prevent condensation forming under certain humidity conditions... In a worst case scenario the freezer door would freeze to the casing.

paul_h
10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Normal, it stops the freezer cabinet sweating and the door sticking.
When you pull a ice cold drink out of the fridge it sweats after a while, the outside of the drink gets wet with condensation. Freezers have warm pipes around the outside of the cabinet to prevent condensation forming on the outside of the freezer. This prevents rust on the cabinet and the door icing up.
Commercial units even have electric heaters to help. Being warm on the outside is normal for a freezer.