PDA

View Full Version : Condensate Lines

MattR11
01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
I have a large freezer with 3 evaporator coils. 1 coil maintains a temperature of -22 deg. F/ 2 coil -20 deg F/ 3 coil -20 deg F. They have a common drain line that runs from coil 3 until it exits out of the freezer 120' later. When we have an issue with defrost with one coil it freezes the line and we spend about 2 days with a torch to melt ice to clear the line and or drain pan. One idea I had was to exit each coil indivivualaly out of the freezer but the condensate water would dump into a grass area that has very little drainage for it to run into the ditches. Another idea was to run each line out the freezer into the floor drain like it is now but no into a common line. Please send any ideas this is a very expensive problem that needs addressed. All lines are insulated and have heat trace.
Thank you in advance.

nh3wizard
01-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Are the lines insulated? Do they have heat trace? If the don't I would suggest wrapping heat trace around the pipe and insulate.

The Viking
01-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Have you got trace heater and lagging fitted to the drain?

Edit:
Ooops,
I need touch typing lessons.

At least great minds think alike...

nh3wizard
01-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Whats lagging Viking?

The Viking
01-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Aha,
I do like it when we find the language differences that exist across the pond....

It's what you would call insulation.

nh3wizard
01-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks, nice web site you have.

nike123
01-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Are the lines insulated? Do they have heat trace? If the don't I would suggest wrapping heat trace around the pipe and insulate.

Have you got trace heater and lagging fitted to the drain?

All lines are insulated and have heat trace.

Guys, it is time to tee and bear! (and maybe for little Apsint, depending on preferences):D

The Viking
01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Guys, it is time to tee and bear! (and maybe for little Apsint, depending on preferences):D

Nike,

The line "

All lines are insulated and have heat trace."
Has been added after the first replies.....;)

The Viking
01-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Matt,

How long are the pipes between the driptrays and the Ts in the drain pipe?

P.S. When you answer follow up questions, it's easier to find and considered more polite to use the "reply" function instead of the "edit" one....

nike123
01-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Nike,

The line "

All lines are insulated and have heat trace."
Has been added after the first replies.....;)

That still doesn't mean that is not the time for tee and etc...:o:D

Billy Ray
01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Matt,

its not a good idea having excessive condensate pipework in a low temp store. Even worse is having all connected up together as you describe.

My golden rules are......

1. Short condensate pipe as possible.

2. Individual heater tape per cooler.

3. Self limiting external heater tape, with insulation (lagging to us brits & nordic invaders)

4. Compression joints on pipe fittings. This allows easy removal for cleaning/repair work.

5. Indicator lamp on control panel proving power supply to heater tape + indicator lamp for defrost circuit breaker or fuse.

6. Regular inspection (maintenance)

OH, plus keep a wooly hat & a good coat in the van for thoose long hours which you may have to spend chipping ice away.

Billy Ray

US Iceman
01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
...with insulation (lagging to us brits & nordic invaders)

Ouch. That should generate some comments!:D

Billy Ray
02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Dear Viking,

hope comment was taken in the manner that it was sent.

Biily Ray

p.s. do you sail you long boat up the Thames!!