PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Daikin Outdoor Unit

The Viking
01-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Wow,

I just came back from a callout in London.

Original call was that the A/C in the Tech office didn't work (this is in the building that watches most of the CCTV cameras in northern London).

Arrived at site and the indoor unit was completely dead, when I went up to the roof to have a look I almost fell off it!

I just couldn't believe my eyes:eek:

Where the outdoor unit should have been, there were only wrangled bits of metal! It looked like a 40 tonne truck had gone straight over it at 70mph:eek::eek:
I eventually found part of the compressor embedded in the chiller's condensor.

This is on a RZQ/FHQ100B system we installed after Christmas.

The proverbial will really hit the fan tomorrow, as this is on a council building I don't even want to think about all the H&S red tape we will have to deal with.

Have anybody had this happened to them in the past, or got any ideas as to what could have happened???

I can't see a reason for the pressure to build up enough to blow the compressor apart:confused:, surely the copper tubes must be weaker??

The pictures I took is to large to be attached here but click HERE (http://www.the-viking.eu/photos/id77.html) for some really scary pictures of it.

I guess it was lucky that nobody were on the roof when it blew!

US Iceman
01-04-2008, 04:44 AM
Nice pictures of the unit.:p

And yes... I have heard of this happening. Peter_1 (another moderator) and I helped someone down in South Africa with something just like what you described.

sparrow
01-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Viking, you little tinker:D

Chunk
01-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Maybe you had a visit from this guy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8gFTnJuYs6M

:D

Thermatech
01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Viking
What are the high pressure safety device on this model ?

frank
01-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Anyone see the flying Penguins on BBC Breakfast yesterday??? :D

philfridge
01-04-2008, 08:03 PM
that is scary coulda taken your head clean off

Chunk
01-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Or Franks flying penguins could have misjudged the landing:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxmpihCjqw&feature=bz301

yinmorrison
01-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Nice one:D

yinmorrison
01-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Frank,
I actually believed that one.F--k I really did.

praveen
02-04-2008, 08:21 AM
result of faulty pressure safety valves or no safety vale installed or wrong selection of safety vale installed

nike123
02-04-2008, 08:32 AM
result of faulty pressure safety valves or no safety vale installed or wrong selection of safety vale installed
Yes, sure it is!!!:D:D

Did you checked picture of actual scene?;)
http://www.the-viking.eu/photos/id77.html

mykel
05-04-2008, 02:47 AM
most probably blocked system.

The Viking
05-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Please look at the date of my original post...

If you clicked on the link, you had ended up on a page stating [you been April fooled]...

Let's us let this thread die now until next year when I will come up with something new.

Brian_UK
06-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Might be an idea to 'Close' it Viking and perhaps remove your 'link' otherwise you'll be stuck with having to keep that web page active for ever :)

chillin out
06-04-2008, 01:08 AM
I don't think a few of our non-UK members understand April fools day...lol

Everyone that posted a normal answer is from abroad and the other one is from Essex.

Chillin:):)

The Viking
06-04-2008, 01:52 AM
I don't think a few of our non-UK members understand April fools day...lol

Everyone that posted a normal answer is from abroad and the other one is from Essex.

Chillin:):)

Silly me, as a foreigner myself, I have found April fools day quite universal..but I do see your point about Essex;)

I did try and find a way of locking the thread but I suspect that you have to be a mod to do that, perhaps one of you guys could help me?

nike123
06-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Silly me, as a foreigner myself, I have found April fools day quite universal..but I do see your point about Essex;)

I did try and find a way of locking the thread but I suspect that you have to be a mod to do that, perhaps one of you guys could help me?

I think that every thread that you started, you could lock!