PDA

View Full Version : Brazing rods/melty sticks

monkey spanners
29-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I was particaly bored the other day and found myself reading the instructions for a braze in drier which stated that 5% silver rods where to be used.
Now my usual rothenberger S2 rods are 2% i believe so iv'e now got myself some 5% rods which are a bit runnier in use than the S2. Also easier with a mapp torch.
In a further fit of literacy i read the destructions in a braze in sight glass which stated that 15% silver rods are required for these.

Do you guys carry around a selection of different rods for different things or am paying too much heed to the instructions:confused:

Jon:D

Chunk
29-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi Jon

All i carry is the rothenberger s2 sticks .

I bet there isn`t a lot of people out there that use different % silver but have you ever returned to a leak after you think it has been welded properly just using the 2%?

Practically all the installs and comp changes and assorted repairs that i`ve done have been with whatever i had in my van at the time.

I suppose its just the manufacturers using cheaper fittings and componants with less copper in them,so we have to compensate with different rods.Thats just my opinion:o.

And anyway,you must be the first person to have read instructions on how to install drier that i have heard of in a while;)

expat
29-03-2008, 07:55 PM
My old boss used to have some 45%ag that he insisted we use with copper to brass. The standard for us was 5%. But if you've been doing fine with 2% maybe I'lll give it a try.

monkey spanners
29-03-2008, 10:15 PM
I've used the S2 rods for 15 years now without problems showing up. I've got silfos38 (i think) rods for anything thats not copper to copper, just trying out those flux coated ones which are ok but i think they use more flux than i do manualy and hence require a bit more cleaning afterwards.

I did wonder if it had something to do with the lower melting point of the higher silver content rods with things like sight glasses?

Jon

Chunk
29-03-2008, 10:36 PM
I cant get on with the coated rods only because if you dont use them that much they break apart too easily plus they are too expensive.i`ll just stick to my pot of flux things are too complicated as it is.

monkey spanners
29-03-2008, 11:02 PM
They have got a plastic coating on them now to keep the flux in place. I've still got a pot of flux and normal rods in the van too.I've got some 2" abs pipe with a cap on one end to store rods in and stop them getting mangled.I think its because i get bored working on small systems and keep myself amused by trying out new stuff...

Chunk
29-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I`ve got one of them too,but i dont get to use it all much.I spend most of the day walking around the supermarket trying to find something nice for dinner and if i do get my tools out(probably for show)i just throw them back in the van and rush home for the weakest link.

Last time i got some of those coated rods, they were nearly 10 quid each,i nearly had a heart attack and i didnt have to pay for them.Scary stuff.

The MG Pony
30-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Here we just use 15% accross the board, and for steel to copper 45% with the lovely white pasty flux & a brush.

kiwireeferman
11-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Have always used 15% copper to copper and 45% copper to steel but with flux powder. Just dip the hot rod into the flux and wipe it across the joint.

The MG Pony
11-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Have always used 15% copper to copper and 45% copper to steel but with flux powder. Just dip the hot rod into the flux and wipe it across the joint.

Funy I do the same thing, only I heat the rod and dip it in the paste till a clear coat forms on it.

For hobby work at home I use 5%