PDA

View Full Version : Scotland

bernard
29-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Wee Scottish facts
* The shortest scheduled flight in the world is one and a half miles long from Westray to Papa Westray in the Orkney Islands of Scotland. The journey takes 1 minute 14 seconds to complete.
* The wildcat is the quickest Scottish animal to fend for itself after birth. It faces the world at a month old and begins hunting at the age of 3 months.
* Golf has been played in St. Andrews, Scotland since the 15th Century.
* Eas Coul Aulin Waterfall in the county of Sutherland, with a sheer drop of 658 ft, four times the height of Niagara Falls, is the highest waterfall in Britain.
* The very first recorded appearance of the elusive Loch Ness Monster occurred in 565 AD, when a " water beast " attacked one of St. Columba's followers in the loch. ''' * The windiest place in Scotland is the Island of Tiree, which has the highest average gusts over 100 mph.
* There are 787 Scottish Islands.
* The Chapel of St. Oran on the island of lona in the Hebrides, holds the tombs of 48 kings of Scotland, 8 kings of Norway, 4 kings of Ireland and 4 kings of France. * 7 out of every 10 Scots have blue eyes.
* Seven Scotsmen were in the US 7th Cavalry with General Custer at the Battle of the Little Big Horn on 25 June, 1876.

B.

Josip
29-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi, Bernard :)

Wee Scottish facts
* The shortest scheduled flight in the world is one and a half miles long from Westray to Papa Westray in the Orkney Islands of Scotland. The journey takes 1 minute 14 seconds to complete.
* The wildcat is the quickest Scottish animal to fend for itself after birth. It faces the world at a month old and begins hunting at the age of 3 months.
* Golf has been played in St. Andrews, Scotland since the 15th Century.
* Eas Coul Aulin Waterfall in the county of Sutherland, with a sheer drop of 658 ft, four times the height of Niagara Falls, is the highest waterfall in Britain.
* The very first recorded appearance of the elusive Loch Ness Monster occurred in 565 AD, when a " water beast " attacked one of St. Columba's followers in the loch. ''' * The windiest place in Scotland is the Island of Tiree, which has the highest average gusts over 100 mph.
* The Chapel of St. Oran on the island of lona in the Hebrides, holds the tombs of 48 kings of Scotland, 8 kings of Norway, 4 kings of Ireland and 4 kings of France. * 7 out of every 10 Scots have blue eyes.
* Seven Scotsmen were in the US 7th Cavalry with General Custer at the Battle of the Little Big Horn on 25 June, 1876.

B.

nice facts;)... thanks for info

* we have 1185 islands

Best regards, Josip :)

The Viking
29-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Wee Scottish facts

Oh, impressive.
BTW, did you know that there are just over 30000 islands in Stockholm's Archipelago?

Wow, did they win?

:D

Chunk
29-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Sorry works on my putor.

I`ll leave the chav stuff alone.

Hope it didnt do any harm,send me the bill if it did.:(

The Viking
29-03-2008, 10:55 PM
That's OK Chunk.

My virus programme is up to date.

(What happened when I clicked on the link was that a whole load of pop ups were blocked, then the virus programme kicked up a fuss and the page that finally loaded suggested some interesting links to improve my sexlife. So better safe than sorry....)

Cheers for removing the link, it might have saved a lot of hassle for someone with a less up to date virus checker....

Chunk
29-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Right,after that **** up of a post i made earlier i would like to say that not only does Scotland have a lot of interesting history and places of interest,it is also a mean place to go mountain biking.

I`ve been twice now,once to Galloway forest park,which ruined my bike,and then i took my bike on the Minch Moor trail,Which for a chunky person like myself was a nightmare and i faired worse than the bike.

If anyones looking for a place to go biking then Scotlands the business.I`ll stick to Wales for an easier time.

Josip
30-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi, chunky munkey :)

Sorry works on my putor.

I`ll leave the chav stuff alone.

Hope it didnt do any harm,send me the bill if it did.:(

...was on page but only brides from Ukraine;) hot dates and so....

no virus found... but after Wiking's warning checked complete comp with anti spyware and anti virus programs...

Best regards, Josip :)

NH3LVR
30-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Ah Scotland!

I was in Edinburgh a few years ago. I had instruction to head down to the Grass Market.
Little did I know that the steps back up to the hotel would become increasingly difficult in direct relationship to the amount of 16 year old Scotch one had consumed!:)

If you have not been to Edinburgh, the steps are formidable, trust me.