PDA

View Full Version : Product claiming to raise effciency....any thoughts...

BigJon3475
27-03-2008, 09:18 PM
http://www.coolnsave.com/splash.html

I'm not endorsing or condoning it just wish to hear thoughts on it.

"In the hottest months your AC can account for up to 90% of your total monthly electric bill.
-- Cool-N-Save(TM) can reduce monthly AC electric charges by up to 30%.
-- For the average household, a single Cool-N-Save(TM) prevents over 5,000 lbs of CO2 emissions a year.
-- A single Cool-N-Save(TM) offers the energy savings of up to 38 Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs).
-- About 1/7 of all electricity generated in the US is used to air condition.
-- The Cool-N-Save(TM) offers dramatic power savings while using as little as .06/water per day.
-- Cool-N-Save(TM) includes a proprietary water filter designed by Paul Puckorius to prevent scaling and corrosion of AC equipment."

Brian_UK
27-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Any device that reduces head pressure should offer savings.

However the water usage/wastage should also be taken into consideration.

We have had threads before discussing water sprays over condenser coils which had mixed responses.

BigJon3475
27-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I did some searches to no avail I will continue to search though.

US Iceman
28-03-2008, 12:29 AM
One question...

What happens when the dissolved solids in the water precipitate on the condenser coil and raise the discharge pressure and energy use?:rolleyes:

Josip
28-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Hi, US Iceman :)

One question...

What happens when the dissolved solids in the water precipitate on the condenser coil and raise the discharge pressure and energy use?:rolleyes:

..... to replace old one with new condenser and spend all saved money plus additional money for repairing:confused:

....maybe I am wrong... but with snake oil you never know.... can cost a fortune;)

Best regards, Josip :)

BigJon3475
28-03-2008, 12:39 AM
One question...

I have asked the question numerous times....the answer is for the most part the "new" filter technology takes care of it. I even went so far as to posting my water quality and how it changes from hot months to cold months......How does the filter attribute to the CSI for that one......Acidic in one season and slightly scale forming in another....

I'll be honest I'm with you guys.....however the mech. engineer isn't claiming longevity.....lol.....just savings......I'm scared for the naive American public.

BigJon3475
28-03-2008, 12:45 AM
One thing to note though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Puckorius

the inventor of the "filter"

http://www.coolnsave.com/our_management.html

US Iceman
28-03-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm sure he understands water chemistry very well after reading the wikipedia listing. I also agree with the basic concept of using the wet bulb temperature to evaporate water to produce a cooling effect. That would lower the inlet air temperature to the air-cooled condenser and save energy.

The problem I have is what happens if/or when the condenser begins to foul?

Water chemistry is highly variable by location as I'm sure the inventor would attest to. This is a big item to tackle even with local chemical treatment people who are familiar with the local water.

I'm not saying it won't work as advertised....

Only offering concerns for the long run....:confused:

BigJon3475
28-03-2008, 03:28 AM
Agree completely.... my prime example introduced to him without an answer yet.....

From my municipality:

"Currently water supplied by CMU is slightly corrosive with a LSI of about -1.0 - -1.1. At this time our average pH is 8.5, calcium levels are 9.0 mg/L, alkalinity levels are about 20 mg/L, and the temperature is about 68ºF. This is typical, with the exception of temperature, during the warm weather months (April - September). In the cooler weather months we adjust treatment so that the LSI is <tt><tt>in the balanced to slightly positive range."

Can't see a filter solving that one.....I have to add chemicals to balance my water....no way does a filter add chemicals as needed without some sort of controlling device.

I agree with the concept but in reality it's not made for it...if it was it wouldn't bean air source cooling system or it would already be a field installed option. I argued that it would change the characteristics of a cooling system and the mfg would not back you on warranty claims if you had one.
</tt></tt>

The MG Pony
28-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Look at the Micromet cartridges that are availible for ice machines that auto feed.

Yup micromet: Cool-N-Save™ AC Pre-Cooling System
Inline Polyphosphate Water Filter .

Claims it uses 6C worth of water a day.

The MG Pony
28-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Build up on AC condenser
Under certain conditions , mineral deposits may occur with the Cool-n-Save™. Although the micro-mist evaporates almost instantly, some wetness may reach the coils resulting in calcium and/or lime buildup.This is particularly prevalant in areas with excessively hard water.

To remove any mineral buildup, spray down your condenser with a calcium , lime, rust reducing agent, and rinse with clean water. This will dissolve away any mineral buildup, and is a good idea whether you are using a Cool-n-Save™ or not.

To learn more, visit our maintenance section.

The maintanance section:
Air Conditioning System Maintenance
Cool-n-Save™ evaporates almost instantly, however in some rare conditions, you may notice slight calcium, lime, or rust buildup on the AC fins and/or coils.

Monthly AC unit preventative maintenance will not only dramatically help cut down on any buildup, but will increase the overall efficiency of your condenser. Once a month, we recommend, a simply spray down of the outside of your AC condenser coils with a calcium, lime, rust reducing product (available in any hardware or home-improvement store), leave on for 5 minutes NO LONGER (see below), and rinse it off with clean water at normal household water pressure. This will remove any mineral buildup on your AC condenser, and keep your Air Conditioning System working at top efficiency.

This simple routine is a good idea with or without the Cool-n-Save™ attached, as all condensers can accumulate buildup through normal use. This simple procedure once a month will help keep your system in tip-top condition.

It's on his web page in the faqs area. Seems like he's covering his bases well.

After going through his site a few times It looks like he presented every thing fairly clear that the GP will understand, but he needs to make a warning for high humidity areas thats his only obvious fault atm.

US Iceman
28-03-2008, 03:53 PM
It is hard enough (pun intended:D) to keep an air-cooled condenser clean with just dirt and other airborne debris. The multiple circuits that are layered to form the condenser coil are a very good dirt trap and difficult to clean even with foaming cleansers and water.

Adding the problem of cleaning an air-cooled condenser with all of the fins collecting and accumulating dissolved solids from an airstream or direct contact is asking for problems with unhappy home owners.

Then if you use chemicals to remove the scale buildup is the chemical compatible with the materials of construction?

So, not only could you end up with a solid mass of concrete but you could destroy the condenser trying to clean it.

Sounds like a recipe for problems. But that's just me...:rolleyes:

BigJon3475
28-03-2008, 09:41 PM
but he needs to make a warning for high humidity areas thats his only obvious fault atm.

That's in the study from Tulane.

It's a group of engineers and a marketing guy.

The MG Pony
29-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Now thats fishy, it disobeys the laws of physics now? and I've never heard of that University! Lets see MIT rip it appart :)

BigJon3475
29-03-2008, 09:21 PM
In doing a lot of research and chatting......it seems to me most of the important information in "all" of their reading materials to accurately be able to decide if this saves you money or not. Strange to me to hear things like dry bulb temps being used to determine if a change of capacity has occurred.

It's claimed that the only system parameters that change when the mist begins to spray is amperage draw.....it's claimed it lowers compression ratio....and that's it.....We all know how many items in a closed refrigeration circuit can be changed and do not effect anything else in the system :rolleyes:. Especially something as critical to performance numbers as amperage draw.