PDA

View Full Version : Domestic electrical questions

Andy AC
27-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Hello guys, I got a question or two for you chaps that know about working with electrics on domestic jobs, not necessarily air con or fridge related.
If you were called to an appliance (a/c, fridge, storage heater, cooker, extract fan etc.) that had a fault on the power supply - burnt out terminals or broken spur/connection point. Could I fit a replacement spur? or would a sparky have to do it?

In a similar sort of thing, could I replace an appliance, (same location, like for like, maybe replace connecting flex, but not interfering with original supply wiring) or is this down to mr sparks as well.

When we install on a domestic job, I'm happy to wire in to the spur plate supplied by someone else for the final connection, or is this not allowed?

I just wanted to know where I stood on this - my nan phoned me tonight and asked me if I could replace a water heater and change her cooker outlet. As far as I know I'm not allowed to, but would appreciate your views and comments.

I don't actually have any electrical qualifications, the BTEC engineering course and NVQ courses that I have done in the past cover a bit of electrical installation/fault finding, but as you know, it don't make you a sparks. I've been doing installing/repairing air con and fridge for 12 years so am not a total novice when it comes to electrics.

Andy

eggs
27-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Andy, as us usual with theses things it is all open to interpretation. The fella who wrote the rules stands in the grey area over there, you will recognise him because his mate has his head buried in the sand. Can you see him?

Basically if it's in a kitchen or a bathroom leave alone. If it's an existing circuit in a bedroom or conservatory.........get stuck in!

http://www.stockton.gov.uk/resources/planning/notifiablework/notifiablewk.doc

see if this helps you decide.

eggs

Andy AC
30-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Cheers Eggs, thanks for the info

Andy

malcoa
02-04-2008, 08:46 AM
in theory, you should produce a minor works cert if you change a spur unit regardless of location-but who would know

coldcraft
02-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Hi,
The general rule for electrical work is that you can change like for like but you cannot install new points etc.
check the IEE regs.

Regards Coldcraft

paul_h
02-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi,
The general rule for electrical work is that you can change like for like but you cannot install new points etc.
check the IEE regs.

Regards ColdcraftIt's the same as here then for people in a/c refrig.
Here we hold an electrical licence so we can repair (ie like for like), but we are not electrical engineers so we can't install new equipment (ie, we aren't licenced to decide what size cables or circuit breakers, so no new installs).
That's how it's always been described to me as anyway. Though we aren't supposed to go nuts installing ovens etc, as the licence was only granted to us in order to work in our trade, not go do someone elses job :)

edit: Though I'm only allowed to touch electrical stuff because I have a licence to do so from the electrical regs people. I have no idea how Andy AC could have been playing with installs and service work over there without any licence? Strict on electrical work down here, but licenced people with a restricted licence can wire like for like.

Andy AC
02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Paul, that restricted license you speak of sounds like a good idea, I wish we had that sort of thing here in the UK.
As far as I was aware, (somebody correct me if I am wrong) we were allowed to do interconnecting wiring and control wiring on a/c installs/repairs, as long as supply wiring from the distribution board was done by a proper sparks.

I'm not interested in doing supply wiring because a, its not my job, b, I'm not qualified c/ I didn't want to be a sparks, and d, an electrician has got to do something to justify their existence. - they're not usually good at any thing else:p

Just as people started people started to have a/c installed in their houses over here, this part p regulation came in to force which requires a qualified, part p certified sparks to do almost everything in a domestic residence, & if not do everything, charge a fortune to inspect someone else's work. The customers now panic when you tell them they need a sparky as well, in case all their internal wiring is inspected.

Sometimes we get asked to fit replacement extract fans, storage heaters, etc. in peoples houses but it appears these regulations are now saying otherwise. If it was in a commercial premises, I'd get on with it straight away, no questions asked. I just wanted to know where we guys stand on this?

Andy