PDA

View Full Version : reduce thickness of bended copper tubes

rlim
08-07-2003, 02:59 AM
We have plans to reduce the thickness of the plain copper tubes, sizes ranges from 1/4" to 3/4" OD x 0.028" (0.71 mm) thickness and we plan to change the thickness to 0.022" (0.55mm) for some reasons. These plain copper tubes used in suction and discharge tube in window air conditioner unit.

I would like to know if these are posible? I would like to know some formulas to calculate if the thickness is possible especially in the bended part since there will be reduction in thickness.

Coul somebody help me regarding this matter.

Dan
08-07-2003, 06:17 AM
It would help to know why you are attempting to make the pipe walls smaller.

rlim
08-07-2003, 09:54 AM
cost reduction... since we were buying copper tubes per weight we can save at least 18 % to 20 % cost reduction. But before we apply this one we would like check if possible by computation... and also we don't want to create quality problem.

biffdecki
08-07-2003, 10:41 AM
rlim

Hope this link helps you somewhat, there is pipe thickness formula info on the BRA factfinder 5 although based on British Standards.

http://www.feta.co.uk/feta05d.htm

Prof Sporlan
08-07-2003, 10:58 PM
I would like to know some formulas to calculate if the thickness is possible especially in the bended part since there will be reduction in thickness.
Manufacturers ultimately resort to performing a burst test or similar test to confirm the integrity of a component or small system. Tubing wall thickness, tube bending, and brazing technique all will affect the strength of the tube. Setting up a burst test on a window a/c unit using a hydraulic hand pump should be relatively easy.