PDA

View Full Version : New Member - London Area.

Kevin08
24-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi Everybody,

Im currently doing an electrical course at college but really want to get into the air conditiong trade. If anybody could explain to me in a very basic form how an air conditioning system works it would be greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Grizzly
24-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi Everybody,

Im currently doing an electrical course at college but really want to get into the air conditiong trade. If anybody could explain to me in a very basic form how an air conditioning system works it would be greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have not got enough space or typing experience to fulfil your request.
But I will see if I have any basic info I can forward to you.
Grizzly

Kevin08
24-03-2008, 10:37 PM
All I want is basically a simple explanation of how the simplist air conditioning split works.

OoOoh also just noticed your location, I have family down in Somerset. ;)

Also any informatrion would be greatly recieved, thanks.

nike123
24-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi Everybody,

Thanks.

Start with looking at this:
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12064

Then, ask questions.

Kevin08
24-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look now.

Brian_UK
24-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Basic description of air cooling system, not air conditioning that's something else.

AC works on the same principle as your refrigerator.

Quick gas law - temperature increases with pressure, likewise, temperature falls with pressure.

We start with a compressor, this sucks in refrigerant vapour and compresses it to a higher pressure and temperature. The hot vapour travels through a condenser (black pipe coil back of fridge) where the hot vapour cools by giving up heat to the surrounding air.

As the vapour cools it 'condenses' into a high pressure liquid. The high pressure liquid then passes through a restriction device which causes the pressure to fall (a bit like a resistor dropping the voltage); as the pressure falls then so does the temperature.

The low pressure liquid now passes through the evaporator (ice box in the fridge) where it removes heat from the surrounding area and in doing so vapourises the liquid refrigerant back to a vapour/gas.

The vapour is sucked back to the compressor to start all over again.

Replace the ice box with the air cooling coil with air blown over it and there you have an AC unit.

Grizzly
25-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Basic description of air cooling system, not air conditioning that's something else.

Quick gas law - temperature increases with pressure, likewise, temperature falls with pressure.

We start with a compressor, this sucks in refrigerant vapour and compresses it to a higher pressure and temperature. The hot vapour travels through a condenser (black pipe coil back of fridge) where the hot vapour cools by giving up heat to the surrounding air.

As the vapour cools it 'condenses' into a high pressure liquid. The high pressure liquid then passes through a restriction device which causes the pressure to fall (a bit like a resistor dropping the voltage); as the pressure falls then so does the temperature.

The low pressure liquid now passes through the evaporator (ice box in the fridge) where it removes heat from the surrounding area and in doing so vapourises the liquid refrigerant back to a vapour/gas.

Replace the ice box with the air cooling coil with air blown over it and there you have an AC unit.

Nothing wrong with your typing Brian.
Nice one!
Grizzly

absolute-zero
31-03-2008, 03:51 PM

Nice and concise,, good work Brian.:cool: