PDA

View Full Version : play time :)

acedude
07-07-2003, 02:04 AM
hey ppl im very interested in playing with somebits i have aquired. i am a virgin to refigeration and have looked up lots on it some questions i want to ask this board are as follows! i have got an old r12 compressor and condensor (not sure of pumping size at min) and a vaporator with a txv in it i am planning on using propane as the refrigerant as i cant get hold of proper gas in uk (need certs etc) questions are

1. will an old r12 comp be enough to vac out the system i am cobbling together, as i dont have proper vac to vac out system,

2. will i have to renew the drier or will it be ok once i have vac'd out the system and hence all H2O should be gone! or once it has captued water is it useless?

3. (most important) TXV how the hell can i set the superheat temp as it is going to be different to r12... can i just leave it as is set for r12 (as r12 boils higher and is therefore gaurenteed to 'boil off' the propane) and once i have got it running drop the txv to 10 degres above propanes boiling point.

as im a total novice im doing this to 'play and learn' eventually i want to use the unit in a home made air conditioner but until then i awnt to play to gain experience as i am interested.

i have 1 pressure gauge that i will fit to the lsystem (is it best on low side? ) and have real basic equiptment....

can i achieve the result i want o am i just wasting my time playing?

oh cud i use butane??? i know that boils @ 31 oF but only want to use it as air conditioner eventually???

thanks for any help in this area...

will look on both units tomorrow and find out more info for u all :o)

thanks in advance all :oD

ian

MANIS
13-08-2004, 02:38 AM
Is that r12 comp is rotary. if so then after confirming the
performance of that comp you can use for vac.

shogun7
13-08-2004, 05:31 AM
I have used a rotery compressor as a vacuum pump many years ago but it's very inportant to be able to change the oil on a regular basis as you would net be able to purge while its running and therefore the oil would be come contaminated in 2 or 3 pulldown. You can also use/make a cold trap on the inlet to the pump using dry ice to get a lower vapor pressure in the system you are pulling down and any moisture removed from the system will freeze in the trap before it contaminates the vacuum pump oil. Once the trap is removed the frozen ice will thaw out and then you can drain it if you make provisions for that on the trap. :D

Jasper
13-08-2004, 06:34 AM
[QUOTE=acedude]hey ppl im very interested in playing with somebits i have

as im a total novice im doing this to 'play and learn' eventually i want to use the unit in a home made air conditioner but until then i awnt to play to gain experience as i am interested.

i have 1 pressure gauge that i will fit to the lsystem (is it best on low side? ) and have real basic equiptment....

THIS GUY SOUNDS LIKE A NUTTER

:eek: :eek: