PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint FFS70S noisey and now not freezing

aragorn
24-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi there.

I have owned this hotpoint ffs70 for around four years. It started making what i can best desribe as a percolating noise around 6-8 months ago. It gurgles constantly when the compressor is running and its VERY loud, ie you can hear it in the next room.

I had an engineer out who basically told me its normal and they all do it, so i left it and put up with the noise until now. A few days ago the Freezer High Temp light came on, but everything seemed fine in the freezer so again i just left it. Today however the freezer has completely defrosted. Ive also noticed that the gurgling noise has mostly stopped although the compressor seems to constantly be buzzing away.

The fridge currently seems to be staying cool, but i need to get this sorted. I've had a google and it seems to suggest the gurgling noise is caused by the system losing pressure, as such i would imagine its now lost so much gas that its not managing to keep the freezer cool at all.

If my assumptions are correct it should simply be a case of getting someone out to find and fix the leak and regas it? Just wondering if i'm going along the right lines or if theres something else up with it.

Cheers

Kevin

nike123
24-03-2008, 10:10 AM
You should call service technician because you could not do anything as amateur with this type of problem. Call technician to make offer and then decide if you want change the thing or repair it.

philfridge
24-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Sounds like your compressor is now f###ed, not worth repairng due to costs involved

aragorn
24-03-2008, 06:27 PM
dont get me wrong im not going to try and fix it myself. That wasnt what i meant in my original post. I was just trying to ascertain what exactly was wrong with it before calling someone out again.

I have learned not to trust any technicians reports after being burned too many times. This is another perfect example. The engineer that came out and told me it was fine was clearly talking crap. and now, instead of paying £60 to regas the fridge, if the compressor is dead like you say, im going to have to buy a complete new unit.

Just trying to get some alternate advice before spending/wasting any more money!

nike123
24-03-2008, 07:09 PM
dont get me wrong im not going to try and fix it myself. That wasnt what i meant in my original post. I was just trying to ascertain what exactly was wrong with it before calling someone out again.

I have learned not to trust any technicians reports after being burned too many times. This is another perfect example. The engineer that came out and told me it was fine was clearly talking crap. and now, instead of paying £60 to regas the fridge, if the compressor is dead like you say, im going to have to buy a complete new unit.

Just trying to get some alternate advice before spending/wasting any more money!

For any meaningful and fact based advice, we need more informations, which can only be provided with someone who have tools and knowledge how to acquire them. That brings us again to situation, that we need service technician to look for and provide us with informations. So, if you don't have any friend who is also refrigeration technician, you are condemned to pay for acquiring that informations.:(
Or, we could just shoot out all possible causes of that symptoms, and leave up to you to decide what to do with that unfounded assumptions.;)

Here on RE forum, you see conversation between technicians with tools. But, that is two way flow of informations. In your case that would be one way flow of informations because you are already provide us with what you know or could know without instruments. Sorry, but those are the facts of life.