PDA

View Full Version : water cooled ice making machine problem

racktech2008
22-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I always imagined that my first experience troubleshooting ice makers would be with a simple, isolated, self-packaged unit. How wrong I was.
I`ve been assigned to make a diagnosis on a
8-unit system. All of the ice makers are connected to a closed loop condensing water system, cooled by a small cooling tower. The facilities manager indicates that after the daily initial system start-up, most of the units shut down after a short while. He has to manually turn-off and re-start these units up to three times before they keep going. After this nuisance, they all perform nicely.
Since the ice makers are all factory wired, charged and tested, my feeling is that the problem lies within the water loop. Pump and cooling tower seem to be interlocked, with a safety feature which wouldn´t allow any of the ice makers to energize unless they are both operating. Fan belts ok. Pump pressure differential present. Ice makers in-line water filters clean. Am I missing something?

nike123
22-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Could be unbalanced loops if some ice makers are difficult to start and other are performing always good start. Also, could be air in the loops.
Ice makers probably have flow switch or differential pressurestat to protect from lack of sufficient water flow, and that is what triggers their shutdown.
If the air is present or if it is the insufficient water flow in some of the loops you could experience these errors.

The MG Pony
22-03-2008, 03:21 PM
and don't forget basics, check your deltas and such, should be 3gpm flow and about a 10 degree Dt of water in and out

As Nike said check for possible air lock, do they use any head pressure modulated valves? they may be sticking from a cold start up.