PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Compressor Manufacturer

gepman
21-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I am new to this forum today.

I was wondering if anyone knows of the manufacturer of an older open type reciprocating compressor which has either "Type SA" or "Type CM" (I have seen both) cast into the wall of the compressor block. Other than that there is no identification. I have attached a picture of these units. They are similar to but not the Thermatrol Model T, F, or E. I am looking for performance tables but any information including a brand name would be helpful.

The units have a 15hp motor and appear to be 3 cylinder.

Thanks for any help.

powell
21-03-2008, 10:45 PM
gepman,

From the picture you have they look like AmoKing compressors.

Here's the link:

www.amoking.com (http://www.amoking.com)

Carlos Barrantes
22-03-2008, 12:04 AM
SA and CM are models of Tecumseh , originally manufactured by Blissfield

chemi-cool
22-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi gepman,

The letters on the block will not take you anywhere.
you can learn obout the unit capacity from the TEV size and refrigerant used.

maybe a better picture from another angel with more light will help.

Tecumseh its not.

Chemi:)

Samarjit Sen
22-03-2008, 01:17 PM
SA model compressors were bing manufactured by Tecumseh, USA. They had SA, RA, VFT etc models. These were all open type compressors and were great in performance. We had used a large number of these compressors and some of the installation which are more than 40 years are still working.

Exactly similar compressors were being manufactured in India by one Freezeking Industries Pvt. Ltd. Their web site is www.freezeking.com (http://www.freezeking.com) I am not aware if they are still manufacturing. But similar compressors of Melco type and Bitzer type are being made in India. They are not as per the original versions.

Samarjit Sen
22-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Should you require any information please do let me know. It is quite possible that I might have a capacity rating chart of these compressors. You are right SA has 3 cylinders and were suitable for operation upto 25 HP motor depending on the required conditions. I shall try to locate the papers.

Samarjit Sen
22-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Hello Gepman,

I have found the Tecumseh literature with the parformance table of SA and other models. I shall have these documents scanned and post the same. But as I am going to be away on Monday, you might have to wait till Tuesday. Meanwhile if you want any specific details I can let you know.

Just to give you an idea. the SA model with R 12 operating at 675 rpm at 40 oF Evap. and with water cooled Condenser could deliver 227000 BTU/hr. The electric motor was 20 HP.

Samarjit Sen
22-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi Gepman,

Since you referred to 15 hp. the SA model with R 12 would deliver as follows :

556 rpm 40 oF Te 187100 BTU/hr
585 rpm 10 oF Te 92220 BTU/hr
683 rpm 0 oF Te 82500 BUH/hr

All the above are for Water Cooled Condenser.

gepman
31-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Sorry everyone for not getting back to you sooner and thank you for your responses, especially Samarjit. I thought that the forum system would notify me by email but I never received one. I was doing a Google search when I hit upon these replies!

Someone from the servicing company for the installation called me today and said they were by Tecumseh. I called Tecumseh and was told that they were contract manufactured by Blissfield. I have got no response from Blissfield yet.

If I knew that people would actually have information on these I would have posted more details. The refrigerant is R-22. Suction pressure is 48 psig, discharge pressure is 196 psig, rpm is 557. Besides Btu/hr I need to know bhp (or kw).

Thanks again!

powell
31-03-2008, 11:25 PM
gepman,

Well my Amoking guess was incorrect but they sure do look like what you have.

I found my old Blissfield catalog. It has the models you listed.

Check out my profile and send me an email. I'll scan the pages and send to you.

Powell

Samarjit Sen
02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Gepman,

As there was no response from you, I presumed you had the necessary information. I have located the Tecumseh catalog, and should you require the same I can have it scanned and put a download link on the forum for every one to share the same.

Samarjit Sen
02-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Hello Powell,

Amoking is a compressor manufacturing firm in India. They have been making compressors somewhat similar in looks to Melco, Bitzer and Tecumseh. They are mostly used in small sized refrigeration plants for candy manufacturing, Cold Rooms etc.

powell
02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Hello Powell,

Amoking is a compressor manufacturing firm in India. They have been making compressors somewhat similar in looks to Melco, Bitzer and Tecumseh. They are mostly used in small sized refrigeration plants for candy manufacturing, Cold Rooms etc.
Thanks Samarjit,

I'll put this in my knowledge base.;)

Powell

Samarjit Sen
03-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Hello Gepman,

You may download from the undermentioned link the details of Tecumseh compressors

http://download.yousendit.com/03DA641955FB1CC8 (http://download.yousendit.com/03DA641955FB1CC8)

Please download within 7 days.

gepman
03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I would like to thank Powell and Samarjit Sen for providing me with information regarding these compressors. It appears that back in the days of these compressors, no one was particularly concerned with the energy consumption of these units since no compressor horsepower requirements are given. If someone has these (the pages emailed to me by Powell mentions horsepower curves but apparently they were not in his Blissfield catalog) I would be interested in them. If they are not available then I will use information from the Freezeking link provided by Samarjit Sen. On this site there is TR (Tons Refrigeration) and BHP (Brake Horsepower) information for an FK 1500 compressor which is 3 cylinders and has the exact same displacement as the SA compressor and therefore I assume that it probably is the same as the SA. Although the information is for R-134A, I can use this information to calculate the isentropic efficiency of this compressor and it will similar on R-22 after I account for the pressure differences due to different refrigerants.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Samarjit Sen
03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Hello Gepman,

I have posted the original catalogs giving the capacity ratings of the SA compressor. The down load link is very much in the post just above yours.

Any further assistance required, please do let me know. In case you are unable to download, please send me a PM intimating your e mail id. There seems to something wrong with yousendit.com

gepman
03-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Samarjit Sen, I downloaded your post above, thank you again. The capacity (btu/hr) of the compressors is in the literature that you posted however there is no power requirements (bhp) given. I will estimate that as I described in my previous post.

Samarjit Sen
04-04-2008, 02:33 AM
Gepman, in those days people were not so much concerned about power efficiency. However if you see the vertical columns on the left of the capacity chart, you will find HP of the motors mentioned, SA model could operate with 20 HP motor at 675 rpm to generate 227000 BThU/hr capacity at 40 oF Te.

Samarjit Sen
04-04-2008, 02:46 AM
It appears that the link submitted is not operating. I have again downloaded the files and provided below the fresh link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hn5dk1vrnlm (http://www.rediffmail.com/cgi-bin/red.cgi?red=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emediafire%2Ecom%2F%3Fhn5dk1vrnlm&isImage=0&BlockImage=0)