PDA

View Full Version : Decision Advice Needed!!!!!!!

Actinide
21-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I need some advice on a up and coming decision that I will have to make soon. I left 6 months ago from Schweppes a company that I started out and done my apprenticeship with. Most work was post-mix systems, frozen carbonated beverage machines, and commercial fridges, I left to go and work with a commercial / industrial refrigeration AC company, me being money driven. I currently work on chillers, milk vats, commerical equipment etc:

I've been approached by my previous comapny boss 3 times begging me to come back to take over the position of service manager as he had just retired, and another service worker left to pursure a different career. The pay is substantually more but the work is limited compared to the broadness off the industry...

Do I chase the extra $ being a young chap 28, planning on building a house next year, or stay where I am to get industry experiance????

Please I am open to all questions and replies....

chillin out
21-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Yep, go back and get the money.

More importantly you will get management experience!!!
This you may need later on in life.

If it doesn't work out then get another job.

Chillin:):)

The Viking
21-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I think you are missing the biggest question...

Do you want to be a hands on engineer or a manager?
The roles are completely different.

Schweppes is a big company and they should be able to give you all the training that you will need for your new position.

So you have to decide if you want cleaner hands.

Then when you realised that you want to become a manager you have to negotiate, salary isn't everything.
If Schweppes want you as a manager (THEY called you, thats a good position to negotiate from), get them to put in writing that they will enrol you to a recognised management training program.

Good luck.

stuartwking
21-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi Actinide, You in Victoria BC??., I guess the only person that really knows what to do is yourself. I think i would go back and take the manager job but if you love being out and hands on i wouldnt move, I would rather get paid less and enjoy work than make big bucks and not enjoy it.. Hope that makes sense..

philfridge
21-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Stay with your new job your old boss should have paid you to stay before you left lol

frank
21-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I think you answered your own question when you said you were money driven.

Actinide
22-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah well when I was previously employed with them, I tried to negotiate a decent wage but just have come out of my app and their were two other service guys me included, apprentice and manager in dept, that's why they didnt offer me a decent wage, due to industry years exp, hence the new job move...

Now the service manager has reitired, and mechanic has left all they have now is the apprentice, and a non qualified fridgy workin to help out.... If I did decide to take the position im not one to be still, I will be out in field on the tools and in the workshop, plus managing the office.... From past experiance i've got a pretty good know-how on way the dept runs....

So here's the decider, currently on $28aud hour no vehicle, 6 month review coming up in under 3 weeks about wage increase and vehicle....

Managers job have been offered $40aud hour, work vehicle supplied take home and personal use, on call 1/3 weeks...

Im going to wait till my 6 monthly review and see what happens then...

The MG Pony
22-03-2008, 03:57 PM
There a victoria in Aus too? erf confusing, you guys even have a sunshine coast like us!

richardb14
26-03-2008, 08:33 PM
will you get another opportunity like this? more importantly going back to a place you have some history, you know the ropes, you know the people etc, its just too easy. if it doesn't work out it looks pretty good on a c.v, but even better is you can negotiate a good wage now you are earning more :)