PDA

View Full Version : hoover optima hf41a001 frost free

davehemming
19-03-2008, 06:54 PM
hi, usual problem from what i've read so far, cold freezer warm fridge, fridge is between 40 and 50 degrees frezer is -20 the rad on the back gets warm then goes cool when fast freeze is turned on, copper pipe from the compressor is at room temp, when the fridge is turned up to max small ice dropplets are on the inside top of the fridge on the back panel, seems like its trying to cool but just failing, any ideas?? if a regas is needed is a viable option? the fridge is in mint condition also where can i get someone to check the appliance i've tried and tried other than hoover (who charge a fortune) i'm stuck i am in the worcester area uk, any help or ideas would be most grateful. :)

nike123
20-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Just to remind you.
If regas is needed, then you (service technician) also need to find where that gas is escaping!

paul_h
20-03-2008, 09:04 AM
frost frees usually fail when they don't defrost. Easiest thing for you to do is turn the fridge off for 48hrs and leave the doors open.
If it works after that, you have a defrost problem you need to fix, if it doesn't work after a 48hr defrost, then you have a compressor/thermostat or gas problem.

davehemming
20-03-2008, 09:13 AM
thanks, its been off for 48 hours and no water anywhere, i have since plugged it back in and its taken 28 hours to get the fridge to 4 degrees, if it is leaking would it continue to leak and run out?

paul_h
20-03-2008, 09:22 AM
If it's got a refrigerant leak it will keep leaking. Though you say the pipes at the back are not hot, thats normally what a system that has a blockage does, not a system with a leak (thats normally really hot pipe temps.
It might suck in air and moisture if the leak is on the low pressure side, and be permanently ruined.
If a fridge sucks in enough air (normal refrig charge will just be above 0psi, a fridge low on refrigerant will be in a vacuum), you might as well throw it out.
Leak could be on the high pressure side and not ruin the system though.

But if the 48hr defrost didn't help, and you are looking at a leak, compressor or blockage, repairs are generally costly and not worth it for a regular fridge, probably only ecomincally viable for the really big side by side 500L+ $1500 type fridges (and even those ones would be thrown out if they were sucking in heaps of air)

davehemming
20-03-2008, 01:17 PM
thanks for the info, now decided its probably not worth repairing as its now over 6 years old, anyone recommend a suitable replacement? needs to be big and one that will hopefully run problem free for many years,

nike123
20-03-2008, 01:31 PM
needs to be big and one that will hopefully run problem free for many years,

They simply don't do refrigerators like that (problem free for many years) any more.;)

paul_h
20-03-2008, 01:42 PM
"Planned obsolence" is the term, if they made them too good, you'd never need to buy another one.
I can't recommend one, we are refrigeration techs/engineers, not domestic white goods salesmen.
I only have a leaning to what ever is made in australia, for a local service/parts point of view, which does no good for you in england.
All I can say, is steer clear of korean stuff, and do a search of problem fridges here and at uk whitegoods. eg samsung, LG, bosch and hotpoint. And you probably feel like never getting a hoover too, (its a shame as my hoover is 11 years old, but they dont make them here anymore, so I can't judge the current ones)
Anyway, whatever is left is your best bet, just make sure you take any opportunity of extended warranty!

Electrocoolman
20-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Try looking at which? website