PDA

View Full Version : "Underpinning Theory"

Makeit go Right
19-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I seem to hear this new phrase quite a lot in the last few weeks. Can someone confirm for me, is this phrase, "Underpinning Theory," simply a buzz-word for 'Basic Theory' - ie the fundamentals of a subject?

I must say it sounds like a builderswork action of adding special support to the foundations of a building, when such support did not already exist. The phrase tends to imply that the bulk of our engineers do not already have a very good grasp of the basic fundamentals of refrigeration theory, and need "underpinning".

Not sure that's the case.

nike123
19-03-2008, 11:55 AM
In my surrounding that is exactly the case!

taz24
19-03-2008, 12:20 PM
I seem to hear this new phrase quite a lot in the last few weeks. Can someone confirm for me, is this phrase, "Underpinning Theory," simply a buzz-word for 'Basic Theory' - ie the fundamentals of a subject?

I must say it sounds like a builderswork action of adding special support to the foundations of a building, when such support did not already exist. The phrase tends to imply that the bulk of our engineers do not already have a very good grasp of the basic fundamentals of refrigeration theory, and need "underpinning".

Not sure that's the case.

Your about right.
It is the basic knowledge you will require to do your job.

Cheers taz.

monkey spanners
19-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Getting back to basics, and thinking outside the box, without having all our ducks in a row we'll be back to square one:eek:
None of us want to get caught with our pants down in a catch 22 situation, so, playing devils advocate, i think it's time to go the extra mile:rolleyes:
The writing is on the wall and make no bones about it, if we are not careful it'll all go pear shaped:mad:
They are not playing with a full deck if they expect us to walk the full nine yards without room to swing a cat:(

I wash my hands of it:p

taz24
19-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Getting back to basics, and thinking outside the box, without having all our ducks in a row we'll be back to square one:eek:
None of us want to get caught with our pants down in a catch 22 situation, so, playing devils advocate, i think it's time to go the extra mile:rolleyes:
The writing is on the wall and make no bones about it, if we are not careful it'll all go pear shaped:mad:
They are not playing with a full deck if they expect us to walk the full nine yards without room to swing a cat:(

I wash my hands of it:p

At the end of the day, all things considered, weighing all the odds I'll agree with you.:D

Cheers taz.

Brian_UK
19-03-2008, 07:26 PM
I'll give you a definite maybe on that one ;)

expat
19-03-2008, 07:47 PM
I'd have to say, if you can't lead a horse to spilt milk then there's no point crying over the water.

Conclusion: "He who laughs last, laughs last hardest!"

expat
19-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Underpinning Theory

This is management talk for "The reason business is not going so well at the moment is because you and the other technicians aren't doing you're jobs properly"

It will probably be followed by phrases like: getting to the roots, brass tacks, customer care basics, etc

This will probably be followed by something like: time allocation underpinning Theory (ie now you're taking too long)

Followed by: Streamlining, reallocation (ie SACKED)

Makeit go Right
19-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks for that. I get your drift. You certainly know your way around the park!