PDA

View Full Version : Zanussi zebf 249n fridge warm, freezer cold

davemar
16-03-2008, 01:19 AM
I just measured the temperature in my girlfriend's fridge department and it was 24degC (i.e room temperature)! No wonder the butter was soft, so it wasn't cooling at all. However the freezer part measured -25C, so is working fine.

There doesn't appear to be a build up of ice anywhere, and things look reasonably clean. So what can be causing this problem? A friend did turn it off for a short period the day before, don't know why, but they did! So I'm wondering whether that had anything to do with it.

Electrocoolman
16-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Dave,
This unit has single compressor controlled by a thermostat with defrost timer. These all control the freezer.
The cold air is blown around the freezer and circulates up into the fridge ( there is a vent behind the lower right salad draw...and another higher up with a slide control on it. )

Check you have airflow from one of these.....I suspect that you will find you have none.

The fan could be at fault, or more than likely there is a build up of ice in the air channels, or you could have a defrost problem.

Where did you measure the freezer temperature...at top or bottom.? -25 is a bit too cold.

Suggest you empty freezer and check fan. You might find that unplugging unit and defrosting it for 48hrs works wonders....lumps of ice can take a long time to melt. Don't be tempted to use a hairdrier.
Enjoy the icecream!!

PS.the user manual is available to download on the net.

davemar
17-03-2008, 10:14 AM
The fan was spinning away quite happily. I've turned the unit off and hopefully the defrosting will unblock those vents. So I'll let you know how it turns out.

I suppose the freezer might be a bit on the cold side as none of the cold air is filling the fridge section. At least the food isn't going to go off at -25! A neighbour had a spare freezer they weren't using, so we've at got somewhere to store the food while we defrost the thing.

I'm trying to persuade the mother-in-law to clean out the fridge now as it starting to whiff quite badly when I left for work this morning.

davemar
18-03-2008, 12:49 PM
It looks like the defrosting has done the trick, it appears the fridge is getting cold now. I've asked the other half to check the temperature, but it sounds like things are fine now.

Electrocoolman
18-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Good....glad we could help. Thanks for the feedback.