PDA

View Full Version : Where next?

Chunk
15-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Hi All.

I`ve been in the supermarket side of things for 10 years now and i`m looking for an advancement within the field.

Can anyone give me information on where to go next??

I`m very interested in the industrial side of things only due to what i have been reading in the posts on this site but i want to know what people think about what is the "next best thing".

I dont want to be stuck where i am.

I would like people to post what they think what they would aspire to become, or what they think is the best field of refrigeration there is.

Many thanks.

taz24
15-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Hi All.

I`ve been in the supermarket side of things for 10 years now and i`m looking for an advancement within the field.

Can anyone give me information on where to go next??

I`m very interested in the industrial side of things only due to what i have been reading in the posts on this site but i want to know what people think about what is the "next best thing".

I dont want to be stuck where i am.

I would like people to post what they think what they would aspire to become, or what they think is the best field of refrigeration there is.

Many thanks.

Hi ya Chunky.

I have done most types of refrigeration.
I started on demestic and commercial then did industrial for a few years but sort of drifted back to supermarket and large commercial work.

In nearly 30 years in the trade I have done about 20years in large commercial and industrial.

I did not like being pigeon holed to one discipline and for the most part I worked for companies that had a diverse customer base.

Maybe this would suit you why settle for one when you could do it all.

taz

Grizzly
15-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi ya Chunky.

I have done most types of refrigeration.
I started on domestic and commercial then did industrial for a few years but sort of drifted back to supermarket and large commercial work.

In nearly 30 years in the trade I have done about 20years in large commercial and industrial.

I did not like being pigeon holed to one discipline and for the most part I worked for companies that had a diverse customer base.

Maybe this would suit you why settle for one when you could do it all.

taz

I agree with taz, chunky!

I have never worked on Supermarket or transport!
But I have worked with enough guys who have!

To fully appreciate How hard you guys all work.
There is a shortage of good Engineers and try posting your CV on Monster or register with any of the larger Agencies.

There is a subtle difference between disciplines but as taz Say's many of us regularly cross over.

One Huge difference is that certainly for Chiller / Industrial,
Is (generally) we are issued with Cars, this is sometimes only offered once the experience has been gained!
Which come with private usage!!!

Also we tend to be sent to 1 job per day whereas I know you guys can really be messed about.
But and for some it's a big but!
We rarely will ever get the sort of overtime that you guys can expect.

And to some that can be an issue!

So in short the learning curve can be huge but the financial curve can dip hugely as well.

So go for it, after all experience gained is back wards compatible.
Grizzly

Chunk
15-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Cheers guys.

There are two companies near where i live that do large industrial fridge that i`m going to look into.

I dont mind sacrificing a bit of money/overtime if it gives me a bit more knowledge to help me progress within the trade.

I was originally thrown into refrigeration by my dad after i had been sacked from my old electricians job,and refrigeration was`nt what i really wanted to do,but having stuck with it for so long,i am keen to learn more.

The company that i did my apprenticeship with dealt with all different aspects and i learnt quite alot but most of the companies that are around now only deal with specific contracts so you get stuck doing the same thing all the time.

Grizzly
15-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Cheers guys.

There are two companies near where i live that do large industrial fridge that i`m going to look into.

I dont mind sacrificing a bit of money/overtime if it gives me a bit more knowledge to help me progress within the trade.

I was originally thrown into refrigeration by my dad after i had been sacked from my old electricians job,and refrigeration was`nt what i really wanted to do,but having stuck with it for so long,i am keen to learn more.

The company that i did my apprenticeship with dealt with all different aspects and i learnt quite alot but most of the companies that are around now only deal with specific contracts so you get stuck doing the same thing all the time.

Good for you Chunk.
By the way some of the best fridgies I know are Electrical biased.

With that attitude you will do well!
If you think I can help anytime PM me!
Cheers Grizzly

Springbok
15-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey chunk...I know how you feel mate.I also started out in supermarket and did it for a long time.I switched over to air conditioning,commercial and industrial,but ended up back in supermarket,coz its what I love,and it's so demanding and challenging.:D

I had a mate whom I worked with a few years back.He got fed up with the HVAC scene and went into the treefelling scene.:pTotally different!He didn't last very long,and he was back at our company after two years.:p

But to back up your question,trying something else would probably up the excitement again.Good luck buddy!

Chunk
16-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the responses chaps.Am going to see a firm tomorrow and have a chat,lets see if i`m cut out for it.:)