PDA

View Full Version : Gree.....are they really no good??

Dixon
15-03-2008, 12:46 AM
As a previous poster recommending Gree units just thought people might be interested to know that Gree have just won the tender to supply the majority of the ac units for the World Cup projects in S.Africa 2010. They have also won the tender to supply to the Beijing Olympic Media Village (not as big a surprise considering the contribution to the chinese ac industry/economy).......they are not as bad as people like to make out!

Brian_UK
15-03-2008, 01:40 AM
As a previous poster recommending Gree units just thought people might be interested to know that Gree have just won the tender to supply the majority of the ac units for the World Cup projects in S.Africa 2010. They have also won the tender to supply to the Beijing Olympic Media Village (not as big a surprise considering the contribution to the chinese ac industry/economy).......they are not as bad as people like to make out!Being good or bad doesn't really have anything to do with winning contracts of this size.:rolleyes:

I have never touched or seen a Gree so cannot comment on their quality.:)

US Iceman
15-03-2008, 02:46 AM
Being good or bad doesn't really have anything to do with winning contracts of this size.:rolleyes:

It may be a simple matter of perspective.

If a unit is too good then it could be expensive which is bad.

If the unit is inexpensive then more get sold which is good!

I am not commenting on the quality of this manufacturer, only on the original post....

Thermatech
15-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Both of the projects will I suspect only require the units to operate for a short period of a month or two.

Any manufacturer should be able to make some super cheap kit to last that long.

Electrocoolman
15-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Its the overall 'package' that should be taken into consideration, not just initial cost of units.

What really matters is the backup support; i.e availability of information and spares and COST of spares.

Whats the point of fitting a cheap unit when after a couple of years, you cannot get a spare part, or the cost of that part is so expensive it makes repair of the unit uneconomical.....That reflects badly on you...the installer who recommended the unit!

Dixon
15-03-2008, 01:39 PM
The units are going in the new stadiums, new office buildings and even the subway systems. Hardly likely to be used for a "month or two", also a contract of this size will simply not have been handed out without confidence in the systems and months of consultation that they will do the job required. A company the size of Gree would not undertake such a big project if their products were sub standard as the damage to the brand would be massive. As regards to the overall package question, in my opinion the decision makers must have 100% confidence as it is their heads on the block if it all goes wrong, would you put your neck on the line if you weren't 100% sure?? No is the answer!

paul_h
15-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Gree isn't used much in australia, but one of the main wholesalers here sells them, so parts support isn't that bad since youv'e got the wholesaler backing, for the time being (Actrol)
That being said, an a/c brand is only as good as the local support you have where ever you are. Just because china is using them, or actrol is australia is selling them, doesn't mean everyone on the UK should start installing them.
For example here in australia we install a lot of fujitsu and panasonic, mainly because the price is right, the quality is good, and factory supoort here is OK. But from what I've heard, those brands don't get the same support over in europe. Also you don't get the luxury of the factory paying and sorting out they're own warranties like we do here.

chris96
15-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I have a couple of Gree water chiller's i look after.

there about 2 yr's old and the one has had 3 repairs on the conderser fan, caused by the rubber bush wearing, and also the head pressure control switch has failed.

The second also has had the same problem with the condenser fan.
It feeds the MRI unit at a major hospital, i believe it came as a package with the scanner.

Chris.

Dixon
15-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Paul,

I agree with your sentiments, I always think back to what my college tutor told me, 99% of problems are due to bad engineers, think about things twice, do it once and you'll have very few problems. Sound advice I think. I just find it hard to understand why anything other than Daikin, Mitsi, Tosh are pulled down when people have never used them?? We install Mitsi Electric, Heavy, Daikin as well as Gree and I honestly don't see too much of a difference. Install them correctly and they are as reliable as each other in my experience.

nike123
17-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Few years ago, when I was installing split-systems heavily, I will randomly get to install several Gree-s. Comparing with Fujutsu, Gree was rubish. Performance, noise, materials, design and final product assembly quality is few class below Fujitsu. And price is also reflecting that quality. Service calls I don't mention here, because that is very much influenced with use, commissioning practice, quality of service technician, maintenance practice and quality of power supply.
How is today state I don't know, but believe me, then it was real rubbish. And, parts are available only by dismantling another kit. Documentation is non-existent these days.

sinewave
17-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Have worked on a few Gree and have lost three quotations to Gree gear.

Two of the three we worked on were a nightmare to obtain parts, the third was solved without parts.

Out of the three contracts we lost out on to the cheaper Gree gear offered by another company two have had loads of problems and both companies in question wished they'd taken up our Mitsi or Fujitsu options.

I always follow up lost quotes at the time and a year or so later if lost due to cheap kit.

In conclusion Gree is grade 1 cheap Tat and I wouldn't touch is with a Bargepole! :eek:

Dixon
14-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Bit delayed this one, but cheap grade 1 tat that Daikin are now in partnership with! Gree producing 500,00 splits for Daikin in 2009. Check Daikin website if you don't believe it

airefresco
14-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I personally believe this is a good thing. In the report (which I assume you are referring to) it suggests that Gree will be making a budget range of inverters to rival the cheap rubbish coming out of China. Surely with Daikinīs experience and Greeīs manufacturing facilities the units will not be bad little units and they will have to be around half the price of the current G series units to be competitive. I certainly would prefer to offer Daikin as my budget range rather than Daitsu, Midea or Tango that we have to offer now.

Prince Vaillant
20-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Here we go again on the merry go round, i supply Vaillant and could say exactly the same only i won't as its up to individual engineers and consultants as to what is installed in the end they go for service and support not who or how many units they manufacture.

What are you anyway Dixon a wholesaler or an engineer?

brunstar
23-11-2008, 09:18 PM
yep Daikin have aquired Gree and Mc Quay, they have splits, Vrv and chillers, they are the largest manufacturer fo air con so that is how Daikin now are supplying the majority of the market in the world with air con...

tonyh
03-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Bit of a late reply but I agree with prince vaillant, and yes Gree will manufacture Daikin units but to Daikins spec not Gree's using Daikin products.

Makanic
02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
pay peanuts get munkeys, that what my old man used to say ...
Build to a price not a standard...