PDA

View Full Version : Domestic Fridge Clearance Please help

anthm
13-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi Expert advice needed.

I am anthony, australian living in Hong Kong.

How important is manufactures recommended ventilation clearance around the fridge?

I am on the market for a domestic fridge, trouble is the fridge needs to fit into a space without the recommended clearance. eg, fridge is 59cm space is 61cm wide recommended space width is 69cm.

It also says i need 10cm clearance at the top, i do however have lots of clearance at the top about 45cm. Will this compensate for the lack of ventilation width on the sides. Therefore how important is the manufactures recommendations?

Fridge i am looking at is a Hitachi RS37SVH 365L

Cheers Anthony

dsp
13-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey anthm,
The manufacturers put the guidlines in, unfortunatly for you for a reason. It will effect a number of components within the refrigerator. But worst of all it will decrease the effiency of the refrigerator.
It may work with the decreased clearence but is it worth the risk of replacing a compressor form the fridge whcich will set you back $$.
I suggest to look around for different manufacturers.
dsp

anthm
13-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the advice
Will the increased clearance at the top make up for the decreased clearance on the sides???

Cheers
Anth

dsp
13-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Possibly?
But without looking at the refrigerator I would think that the condenser is on the back. That's where most of the heat will be. Unless the heat can get out easily it may help a little. But still not the most effiecent.
dsp

paul_h
13-03-2008, 10:26 AM
It depends on if this fridge has passive cooling or active cooling.
If it has passive cooling, there's no external condensor and the heat is radiated from the side walls off the fridge, therefore the side clearance is important.
If it has active cooling, there's a condenser and fan mounted at the back in the bottom, they care more about rear and top clearance than side clearance, so you should be OK.
If the fridge is small, it will normally be passive, if it's a larger side by side, it will be fan forced cooling.

edit: Going by the width and capacity of the fridge, I'd say it's passively cooled, and all the heat needs to come off the sides, so it looks bad for you.
If your kitchen is kept cool with a/c on hot days, then you could get away with it, but it's against what the manufacturers advice for a reason.
I've seen heaps installed like that without much trouble, but a few that played up and the manufacturer would back away from, saying end user fault.

anthm
14-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the advice gents. Any more comments from anyone else???

Anth

Electrocoolman
14-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi Anthm,
Do you have an opportunity to go and inspect one in the shop?
You should be able to determine what type of condenser it uses....static on the back or fan blown. My thoughts that it could be fan blown for the market conditions out there...high ambients.
Without this info we are just guessing.

taz24
14-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Under normal circumstances I would say that the side gap is not as critical as the top gap.
But the other posts do have a point in making sure what type of condenser is on the fridge.
If it is a forced air condenser, the air may flow from side to side. Not too common because most draw the air from the back but you need need to make sure before you buy.

Cheers taz.

anthm
15-03-2008, 03:14 AM
ok i will try do some homework,

The fridge i am looking to buy is the Hitachi RS31SVH 365 litre Or the RS31SVH 305L

I will be away with work for a few days so will try find out whether it is fan cooled condensor or static

Thanks for your help gents hope i can get to the bottom of it.

Cheers
Anth

anthm
17-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi Gents I emailed Hitachi and got this back.

Are they just trying to cover their backsides??

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your kind patronage to HITACHI. Regarding your enquiries of 2 different models of refrigerator, please find below information for your reference:-

1. Installation Dimension
RS37SVH : 1,798mm (H) x 590mm (W) x 615mm (D)
If included space for heat dissipation, the size should be 1,898mm (H) x 690mm (W) x 715mm (D).

RS31SVH : 1,725mm (H) x 540mm (W) x 615mm (D)
If included space for heat dissipation, the size should be 1,825mm (H) x 640mm (W) x 715mm (D).

If you do not have enough space for heat dissipation, it may be affected the performance of energy efficiency & cooling of the refrigerator.

On the other hand, we would like to remind you that, please also reserve space & angle for opening the door. Kindly refer to the details as the attached file of RS37SVH.jpg and RS31SVH.jpg respectively.

2. What type of condensor (fan cooled or static)
- We use static condensor with NON-CFC ***** (R600a).

For more details fo these 2 types of refrigerator, you are welcome to download the user manual at our website : hitachi-hk

Should you have any further query, please feel free to contact us.

Yours faithfully,
Hitachi (Hong Kong) Limited
Customer Service Group

dogma
17-03-2008, 03:41 PM
If is is a static condenser is it open and at the back of the cabinet?

If not the condenser will be in the sides and fascia of the cabinet, this is done to stop condensation around the seals and sides of the cabinet. The side clearance will matter. If there is no fan for the condenser you rely on natural convection to move the air over the condenser surface. If you have constant temperature ac in your house/unit they may allow the clearance to be less.

Shoreline
17-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Most of the cabinets we see here in the UK now that is manufactured in the far east have Skin Condensers - that is the consenser tubes arer foamed into the side walls. Ventilation to the sides is paramount.

FungSuiLo
17-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi,
1. In HK it is predominently air conditioned indoors so if your fridge is near your kitchen door ( presumed open as a norm ) then there is not much of a concern.
2. It would help if you have more space behind the fridge then the side and that the sides are not totally boxed in.

In short I do not think you should have any problem.

If you like you may stop here and its up to you if you want to read on.

3. It pays to look at a few more models but Japanese and Korean makes are quite reliable. Ask your local friends to check within reports from 'Choice' magazine as it is in Chinese. choice.yp.com.hk

4. If you are not tight on budget, buy from reputable shops like Fortress or Broadway to avoid being riped off. Having said that, you can have a chance in getting a better deal with smaller shops if you have a trustable local friend who knows his/her way round and how to hackle :)

5. you have to ask about delivery cost and old unit disposal while negotiating, do not leave it until you have accepted the deal.

6. If you need any other small items, browse through them in the shop first to have some idea about their price, either drop them in as a blanket deal to get bargaining power or if you are cheaky enough ask if one or two of those items can be thrown in for free when you are closing the deal. Remember, these tricks CANNOT be used in shops like Fortress etc.

7. Smaller shops may put a charge over credit card payment. Best to buy outright rather than instalments as their interest is sky high.

Best of luck
FungSuiLo

mwinjuma
17-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Mr. Anthony
For My Small Knowledge Which I Have In This Profesional I Have To Say Something To You That Fridge Generate Heat So When You Keep It Without Clearance It Reduce The Perfomance Of The Fridge. Because In Order The Fridge To Perfom Well The Change Of Refrigerant Must Be Exist In The System So If You Keep It Without Clearance The Change Of Refrigerant Espacial From Hot Gas To Liquid Will Not Happen Well So The Perfomance Will Be Poor
That From Me My Friend

anthm
18-03-2008, 01:52 AM
This from the manufacturer gents.

I appreciate all your comments.

Dear Customer,

If you have sufficient space on the top, it should be good enough for heat dissipation.

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact us. Hope you enjoy for using HITACHI products.

Thanks & best regards,
HITACHI (HONG KONG) LIMITED
Customer Service Group

dogma
18-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Keep a copy of that with your receipt if there are any problems later with warranty.

:)