PDA

View Full Version : 486 consuming coolant

gravy258
12-03-2008, 10:22 AM
hello all, has anyone any experience of Yan486's consuming coolant?
-there are no external leaks
-the clear header has black gunk in it(not mixed coolant)
-I've seen the TK bulletin on this and have seen and repaired a 486 that packed up because of this
-currently theres three I know of in one fleet all gold engines and one tier 2 486 that another customer has, same

three's a lot in one fleet, as I only work on one fleet!
Should I start building a few 486's for there imminent demise?

SKOOBY
13-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes I Would Not The Most Reliable Engine.we Had Two Brand New Ones That Were Returned To Tk One Passing Water Through The Exhaust And The Other Filling The Sump.we Have Had A Few Bending Con Rods Through Water In The Bores And Rear Mains Spinning In The Engine Block

absolute-zero
13-03-2008, 01:43 AM
I have had many yanmar 486 coolant system issues. Cylinder Head gasket compression seals has been the common reason for failure here.

I have been resurfacing the cylinder head, new head gasket is sprayed with K&W copper coat gasket sealant if damage or wear is less than 0.10 thousands, checking with certified straight edge and fealer gauge in various surface locations. If the engine block deck shows more than 0.05 thousands, I replace the engine.

DaButcher
14-03-2008, 02:41 PM
hello all, has anyone any experience of Yan486's consuming coolant?
-there are no external leaks
-the clear header has black gunk in it(not mixed coolant)
-I've seen the TK bulletin on this and have seen and repaired a 486 that packed up because of this
-currently theres three I know of in one fleet all gold engines and one tier 2 486 that another customer has, same

three's a lot in one fleet, as I only work on one fleet!
Should I start building a few 486's for there imminent demise?

Start building unless they are under warranty. The newest revision on this bulletin (not yet released) has new guidelines, more engines will be replaced instead of repaired. New revision of bulletin involves a visual inspection only of the engine block.

This one qualified for replacement.
http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/40897/2968730530100152096S600x600Q85.jpg

pipemaster
14-03-2008, 04:24 PM
TK price for a brand new replacement is £2760 :D

absolute-zero
14-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Start building unless they are under warranty. The newest revision on this bulletin (not yet released) has new guidelines, more engines will be replaced instead of repaired. New revision of bulletin involves a visual inspection only of the engine block.

This one qualified for replacement.
http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/40897/2968730530100152096S600x600Q85.jpg

Nice post D-B, I agree this block deck is beyond the point of resurfacing by means of visual inspection, and needs to be replaced. No need to waste valuable time with certified straight edge that clearly indicates excessive wear.

DaButcher
15-03-2008, 04:52 AM
Nice post D-B, I agree this block deck is beyond the point of resurfacing by means of visual inspection, and needs to be replaced. No need to waste valuable time with certified straight edge that clearly indicates excessive wear.

The newest revision does not mention using a straight edge to check the block.

absolute-zero
15-03-2008, 05:02 AM
The newest revision does not mention using a straight edge to check the block.

I thought a straight edge with shinning a light on the back side of the edge was the method for checking the deck surface.

Does checking the cylinder head for true surface still remain the same?

gravy258
17-03-2008, 07:52 AM
thanks for the replies guys, is this a manufacturing fault? The deck not being straight? The bulletin that I saw had pointers to the rear right hand side of the liners as trouble spots, and did say to check it with a straight edge. The 486's that i've taken down seem to have signs of water ingress in no.4 cylinder(comp end), they told us that it was due to new units being stored outside and getting water ingress into the bore. Has anyone seen this?(this was on a 'gold' engine).
Has anyone purchased the 486 or other models direct from Yanmar? I've heard there a lot cheaper.
Does anyone have a copy of the latest bulletin on this issue?

thanks

Paul

gravy258
17-03-2008, 07:53 AM
thanks for the replies guys, is this a manufacturing fault? The deck not being straight? The bulletin that I saw had pointers to the rear right hand side of the liners as trouble spots, and did say to check it with a straight edge. The 486's that i've taken down seem to have signs of water ingress in no.4 cylinder(comp end), they told us that it was due to new units being stored outside and getting water ingress into the bore. Has anyone seen this?(this was on a 'gold' engine).
Has anyone purchased the 486 or other models direct from Yanmar? I've heard there a lot cheaper.
Does anyone have a copy of the latest bulletin on this issue? Or just a summary?

thanks

Paul

DaButcher
17-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the latest bulletin on this issue? Or just a summary?

thanks

Paul

The newest revision of the bulletin is not officially released yet, the version I have is preliminary.

DaButcher
17-03-2008, 12:54 PM
The 486's that i've taken down seem to have signs of water ingress in no.4 cylinder(comp end)

thanks

Paul

Yanmars #1 cylinder is the compressor end. The engines I have torn down have a problem on #3 or #4 at the 11 o'clock position.

Fireblade02
20-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi, since SL serie i've seen no damage on engine in my area. Only Problem on some is that they need to much oil. Some special coolant losts i found out at the waterpump. there was no visual external higlight- but in some it comes out at the pump papergasket in the rear- i think causes of rost (?). is this correct in english? sorry for my bad english, didn't had prctice for a long time to speech or write.
But it won't surprise me that the new muffler design causes damage.

absolute-zero
20-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi, since SL serie i've seen no damage on engine in my area. Only Problem on some is that they need to much oil. Some special coolant losts i found out at the waterpump. there was no visual external higlight- but in some it comes out at the pump papergasket in the rear- i think causes of rost (?). is this correct in english? sorry for my bad english, didn't had prctice for a long time to speech or write.
But it won't surprise me that the new muffler design causes damage.

I have seen some Yanmar engines consuming more oil than normal, and have related to improper oherhead valve adjustments, or engine was not broke in properly after an install.

You also may want to check the crank case Breather and verify that it is not causin a problem. Its located on the valve cover. Crank case pressures in low speed you shoud have 0-1 inches of H20 column pressure, and in high speed 1-2 inches of H20 column pressure.

gravy258
24-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Ok Guys, oil consumption. How many hours between services are we doing. I reckon anything over 2000 and you'll be adding more oil. 750 on a truck unit. EMI filters or normal.
Where I work now its 1500 between each service, which is about every three months. No real dramas on oil consumption. Another customer has the EMI 3000 hour stated service interval, they reckon they put in as top up's, the same amount the sump holds(14L's on a Yanmar).
The oil generally used is Mineral Castrol RXS+ or similar.

cheers

Gravy

abbsnowman
30-03-2008, 05:14 AM
Sound scary to me. At least with Carrier you know your good to 13K hours!:)
Sorry Dabutch;)

absolute-zero
30-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Sound scary to me. At least with Carrier you know your good to 13K hours!:)
Sorry Dabutch;)

Thats if the engine and compressor doesent fall out on the parking lot or tractor cat walk, by the 13k or 5-7 years or which ever comes first.

Sorry abbs:D

abbsnowman
01-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Thats if the engine and compressor doesent fall out on the parking lot or tractor cat walk, by the 13k or 5-7 years or which ever comes first.

Sorry abbs:D
A good tek knows to check compressor bolts at every service on every unit. It's on our inspection sheet.;)
Good to see ya here Abs!

absolute-zero
01-04-2008, 06:02 PM
A good tek knows to check compressor bolts at every service on every unit. It's on our inspection sheet.;)
Good to see ya here Abs!

The CTC unit frames is what i was talking about. you can check the torque and tightness on all the bolts, but still if the frame there bolted to doesnt hold, its going to fall out.:cool:

clivemtk
01-04-2008, 09:58 PM
is it in upstate newyork they fall out of there frames

Fireblade02
01-04-2008, 10:30 PM
I have seen some Yanmar engines consuming more oil than normal, and have related to improper oherhead valve adjustments, or engine was not broke in properly after an install.

You also may want to check the crank case Breather and verify that it is not causin a problem. Its located on the valve cover. Crank case pressures in low speed you shoud have 0-1 inches of H20 column pressure, and in high speed 1-2 inches of H20 column pressure.

did you changed the valve cover against a new one or could you made any settings if it's out of tolerance?
would you please explain one more: "have related to improper oherhead valve adjustments, or engine was not broke in properly after an install. " i don't understand what you are meaning- sorry

absolute-zero
02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
is it in upstate newyork they fall out of there frames

Its a North east thing, ha ha ha, customers in my area have to retire them, as they are not safe or repairable. Frame basically rots out, and the engine and compressors are hanging on by exhaust pipes, vibrasorbers, and wire harness's. Its really a sad sight.:(

absolute-zero
02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
did you changed the valve cover against a new one or could you made any settings if it's out of tolerance?
would you please explain one more: "have related to improper oherhead valve adjustments, or engine was not broke in properly after an install. " i don't understand what you are meaning- sorry

It has been a combination of all of those things.

abbsnowman
03-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Its a North east thing, ha ha ha, customers in my area have to retire them, as they are not safe or repairable. Frame basically rots out, and the engine and compressors are hanging on by exhaust pipes, vibrasorbers, and wire harness's. Its really a sad sight.:(
Ok, two things here, first of all I am sure TK's are affected by salt etc as much as Carriers. Second why would you need reefers in a place like that? Isn't it cold enough already? Why do humans want to live were polar bears don't want to be? ;)

absolute-zero
03-04-2008, 05:56 AM
Ok, two things here, first of all I am sure TK's are affected by salt etc as much as Carriers. Second why would you need reefers in a place like that? Isn't it cold enough already? Why do humans want to live were polar bears don't want to be? ;)

Yeah The TK reciever tanks fail a bit more here, but frames last forever. I have talked to the TK factory about using a stainless reciever and accumulator. If they do this the unit will last for eternity.

Ok the big tip of the day for CTC frame rottage. Drill some drain holes in the bottom of the unit frames, and that should allow all the water that migrates in the frame to drain out thus giving much longer life, Still need to replace reciever tanks in CTC just as much as tk but, at least the unit will not be put out of service due to unsafe frame and structure.

abbsnowman
03-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Yeah The TK reciever tanks fail a bit more here, but frames last forever. I have talked to the TK factory about using a stainless reciever and accumulator. If they do this the unit will last for eternity.

Ok the big tip of the day for CTC frame rottage. Drill some drain holes in the bottom of the unit frames, and that should allow all the water that migrates in the frame to drain out thus giving much longer life, Still need to replace reciever tanks in CTC just as much as tk but, at least the unit will not be put out of service due to unsafe frame and structure.
Is it the frame or power tray?

absolute-zero
03-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Is it the frame or power tray?

Units main frame

abbsnowman
04-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Let me send a signal to the Carrier gods and see what they have to say about that.

Fireblade02
07-04-2008, 09:58 PM
does anybody seen an engine breakdown after service. three times the same about a little bit more after a week after service by custumer? Some from "obove" sais it comes from an aftermarket aircleaner where no water ( i don't know how it should come there) could flow out/ drain? in one case is a big whole to look inside to the crankshaft- smile- be careful because the is still out.

abbsnowman
10-04-2008, 07:33 AM
does anybody seen an engine breakdown after service. three times the same about a little bit more after a week after service by custumer? Some from "obove" sais it comes from an aftermarket aircleaner where no water ( i don't know how it should come there) could flow out/ drain? in one case is a big whole to look inside to the crankshaft- smile- be careful because the is still out.
Sorry bud. I am a bit confused here. Are you refering to the carrier (actualy a fleetgaurd) air filter housing?
Please clear for me as I am very interested in what you have to say on this matter.
Abbs:)

Fireblade02
10-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Sorry bud. I am a bit confused here. Are you refering to the carrier (actualy a fleetgaurd) air filter housing?
Please clear for me as I am very interested in what you have to say on this matter.
Abbs:)
ups , i hope i didn't wrote to much to get anger of ...? i talk about SL 200 e . i don't know really which air filter they'd installed- i heard an aftermarket. in that case its difficult for warranty:cool:

TDI
12-04-2008, 11:02 AM
it was an aftermarket filter a substitude for the original 11-9300

unknown label

think the problem was water intrusion on the filter and no drainage in the dirt cheap (known and communicated problem)

abbsnowman
12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
That will do it!
I have seen those filters replaced with the old style. They discard part of the housing of the 11-9300 and there ya go.
As long as unit is serviced regularly there is no issue.
By the way, great picture;)

Fireblade02
14-04-2008, 09:17 PM
it was an aftermarket filter a substitude for the original 11-9300

unknown label

think the problem was water intrusion on the filter and no drainage in the dirt cheap (known and communicated problem)
thanks for info :-)