PDA

View Full Version : College Or Distance Learning?

Refrigerologist
12-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Hi guys, I now live and work (for myself) in the Channel Islands. I have my C&G's (from before the age of electricity) etc, and have been training my son for the last 3 years, and yes it is hell:D.

I have an information pack from Grimbsy Tech for E-Learning NVQs up to level 3. Does anyone have experience of this, or similar courses. Are they any good or would I be better off sending him over to the UK to:

1. Train with a reputable company who will send him on day/block release or

2. Send him over to the UK and attend a full time course.

My final questions are: other than Grimbsy, and I think Willeseden, are there any other colleges providing Refrig and AC courses, and which is better NVQ or C&G or are these now the same?

The Viking
12-03-2008, 01:57 AM
Considering your location, Eastleigh might be better.
(That's where we are sending "our" young uns)

nswilkinson
14-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I dont think that the online coures at grimsby have been running that long so i can't comment on how good they are, but they have some great tutors so i can only assume good things. I would suggest block release through a good company. With distance learning you with still have to produce a portfolio for Work based evidence before gaining the full NVQ.

Pooh
14-03-2008, 12:39 AM
The distance learning materials were written to allow experienced workers gain the required knowledge and refresh theirs memories prior to taking the three exams required for the technical certificate which is required to get the full NVQ. Although it should work OK with an apprentice if they are given full support and extra tuition. The only disadvantage is the lack of practical training but I think they are running a short summer school for those wanting some practical training to go with the theory.
I think there is somebody on Guernsey already doing the distance learning course with Grimsby, I will try and find out a name so you can contact them.

Eastleigh only do day release as far as I know but you could give Hugh Hawlins a ring and ask.
Grimsby are at present the only fridge college doing block release that is why they get students from all over the country, I beleive they are expecting an apprentice from the Falkland islands in September on block release.
Give them a ring and they may be able to help or at least suggest some options. Ask for Ian.

Ian