PDA

View Full Version : Condensing unit cages?

sinewave
10-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Guys,

We've got a Split system to instal in a few weeks where it's been requested that a cage be fitted.

1) The unit will be wall mounted on Unistrut brackets, albeit only 300mm off the floor.

2) Due to this the cage will be wall mounted not floor mounted

3) A base for the cage won't be necessary

4) The condensing unit size is 580 x 840 x 320mm

Using say 500mm Unistrut brackets to allow for air circulation at the rear which manufacture's model cage is likely to offer the easiest instal.

We've as yet never had the need to instal a cage before so although I'm sure it's easy enough I just wondered if there are any manufacture's or models I should steer clear of? :p

stevo
10-03-2008, 05:30 PM
We have used the BBJ cages but only on floor mounts, but i have seen plenty used on wall mounts too ! shouldn't be too much hassle ;) http://www.aspenpumps.com/index3.html

eggs
10-03-2008, 07:37 PM
We have tried them all BBJ, Pump House etc.....
They are all very simple to fit, and look good too...........................until you go back to sevice them and they have turned to rust.
We now get the local tin shop to fabricate and galvenise them. Much better and cheeper.

Eggs

marc5180
16-03-2008, 07:14 PM
We have tried them all BBJ, Pump House etc.....
They are all very simple to fit, and look good too...........................until you go back to sevice them and they have turned to rust.
We now get the local tin shop to fabricate and galvenise them. Much better and cheeper.

Eggs

We also get them made up in our pre fab shop but if this isn't possible then i would use the BBJ cages, they look the part and are easy to put together.

US Iceman
16-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Almost any attempt to put barriers around air-cooled condensers can affect their circulation. Either on the intake or discharge side.

It is amazing to see the difference in air volume flow if the fans are partially restricted.

Then you have the issue of air recirculation which greatly reduces the system capacity and increases the power use. This can be caused by either the cage or adjacent structures.

The key to these is unimpeded air flow. This is what the manufacturer bases his performance off of. Even something as simple as the unit sitting next to a building can have dramatic effects.

Andy W
16-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I also have mine made up, the only draw back is the weight of the cage if you need to remove it on your own at height, consider the design carefully.

Makeit go Right
19-03-2008, 02:49 PM
"NRS/CLIMATE/Wolseley" is another supplier.

They normally come with two sides, a front, and a top (no bottom). If it is just 300mm off the ground there's little threat from vandals from below.

The air-flow is an issue to bring to the customer's attention. Suggest you mount the thing off the wall on studs by 3-4 inches if possible. That would help.

(I often suggest mounting the condenser 8ft off the ground, which can save the cost of the cage and keep the performance. However, this is not a full solution if there are lots of rocks and stones nearby and a record of trouble in the area.

samson smith
19-07-2011, 08:29 AM
We have used the BBJ cages but only on floor mounts, but i have seen plenty used on wall mounts too ! shouldn't be too much hassle ;) http://www.aspenpumps.com/index3.html

Yes, great. BBJ cages are used on the floor mounts and also on wall mounts. i have searched on the link. This link gives the complete information of BBJ cages and also gives how it use.