PDA

View Full Version : Need some honest but helpful advice

NOTW
07-03-2008, 11:04 PM
I am humbled to be in the presence of so many well knowledged men or women in this refridgeration trade. This is my first time on something like this. so please bear with me. I gave a fellow tenant a refridgerator i had in storage. It has been sitting in there for over 3 and half years. I felt bad to see that they left it outside, because it didn't work for them. It was brand new when i had recieved it. I got it through a program California was doing to conserve energy back in 2005. It is a magic chef refridgerator if that helps. well anyways i went and retrieved it and checked the electrical on it and it has power all the way around. The compressor kicks over and everything. So i clipped a small tip of a copper line that was capped off to see if had any *****, and it didn't. Finally my question is to anyone who may be watching right now (from what i've seen so far you all seem very knowleged in this area) could i myself refill this canister with *****, so as to bless these people who are less fortunet than myself? Thank you all for your time! R134a is its recomened *****.

The Viking
07-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Quick answer is no.

There must be a leak somewhere, that will have to be found and repaired first.

Another thing to bear in mind is how long the system been sitting without gas in it, collecting moisture.

It will require a professional to properly vacc it out and then recharge it.

Electrocoolman
07-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Compressor oil will have taken up moisture, drier as well.
Best send it for recycling.

chillin out
08-03-2008, 12:26 AM
So i clipped a small tip of a copper line that was capped off to see if had any *****,
LOL... do that in this country and you would get the jail.

Unfortunately the cost and work involved repairing it is just not worth it.

Chillin:):)