PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration Oils

gwapa
07-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Dear Refrigeration "Gurus"
A costumer is using refrigeration oil from Mobil Exxon Company.
The system is two stage operations using screw compresors
First stage TE=-48°c TC =-5°C
Second Stage TE=-5°C / TC=+35°C
The existing oil is a semisynthetic type based on Polyalphaolefin.
The oil has a pour point < -50°C , flash point over 250°C and viscocity index close to 200

The constomer wish to have an alternative oils which could replace the existing oil to other brands.

Could you sugest these alternatives and could you recomend a comparation table?.
In case the constumer changes the oil to other brand could he have carryover of old oils or waxes fix to the pipewalls.
What other thing could he spect ?I appreciate the discution
Best regards
Gwapa

Springbok
07-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey gwapa.What type of refrigerant is being used?I pressume its a cascade system being worked on?What is the reason the owner wants to change the oils?Just curious....:rolleyes:

Josip
08-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Hi, qwapa :)

Dear Refrigeration "Gurus"
A costumer is using refrigeration oil from Mobil Exxon Company.
The system is two stage operations using screw compresors
First stage TE=-48°c TC =-5°C
Second Stage TE=-5°C / TC=+35°C
The existing oil is a semisynthetic type based on Polyalphaolefin.
The oil has a pour point < -50°C , flash point over 250°C and viscocity index close to 200

The constomer wish to have an alternative oils which could replace the existing oil to other brands.

Could you sugest these alternatives and could you recomend a comparation table?.
In case the constumer changes the oil to other brand could he have carryover of old oils or waxes fix to the pipewalls.
What other thing could he spect ?I appreciate the discution
Best regards
Gwapa

You can use alternatives which are recommended by compressor's manufacture....only;) check your manual:D

regarding refrigerant, system, etc....

Best regards, Josip :)

Josip
08-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Hi, Springbok :)

Hey gwapa.What type of refrigerant is being used?I pressume its a cascade system being worked on?

assume, two stage ammonia;)

What is the reason the owner wants to change the oils?Just curious....:rolleyes:

...I believe that is not easy to explain...;)

Best regards, Josip :)

TXiceman
08-03-2008, 04:12 AM
First, especially if in warranty, use only the oils listed as approved in the owners manual. Secondly, contact CPI Engineering in Midland, Michigan.

Ken

gwapa
09-03-2008, 02:56 AM
Dear Friends

There are very few companys in the world which produce refrigerants oils for low themperature ammonia plants.

If you married with a company you have to be sure thant you are able to move to other company in any moment and you have to be ready to do it.

The base(chemical products) to produce oils for refrigeration plant is every day hard to find and the manufacturer are running with this kind of difficulties. So our costumer which to be sure that the plan does not dependt of just one provider........ so it is matter of managment strategies.

From the technical point of view we have to find these diferents oils and make recomendations.

So if any of you have good knowlege in the oils fields I will appreciate your advise

Best regards
Gwapa

JOHN KEARNEY
10-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi all im new to the site.
i have a query have a bitzer octogon semi hermetic compressor on 404a using emkarate RL 32 3AMF OIL
evaporating at -51 celcius losing oil over 2 week period is the wrong oil in the system as the pour point of the oil is only -40 celcuis or is the gas velocity not big enough to bring the oil back.
any suggestions would be helpful.

Oregon Jim
12-03-2008, 02:55 AM
We use a refrigeration oil from Chevron, but I STRONGLY URGE you to speak to your local professionals as a change in oil may have detrimental effects on any o-rings or seals in your system.

johnny01
24-06-2009, 04:46 PM
We are using R-22 on low & med. temp. systems , refrig. split racks and conventional split systems , semi-hermetic copeland , demand cooling injection on low temp as well as sporlan y-1037 valves along with head cooling fans ..

Z4Y
17-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi all im new to the site.
i have a query have a bitzer octogon semi hermetic compressor on 404a using emkarate RL 32 3AMF OIL
evaporating at -51 celcius losing oil over 2 week period is the wrong oil in the system as the pour point of the oil is only -40 celcuis or is the gas velocity not big enough to bring the oil back.
any suggestions would be helpful.
what your compressor if danfoss do not used your oil again,..i have another oil for your system and i using that oil for my system. replace with RL 32 H.

Stormy
29-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Gwapa - Firck #9 is a semi-synthetic, however I do not know if it compatible with your current oil. CPI Engineering as mentioned previously is an excellent resource. ISEL out of Jacksonville Fl can match just about any lubricant.