PDA

View Full Version : Copper tube pitting

Rio69
07-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi,
we have installed last year ice bank tank, with direct evaporation within copper tubes.
Everything was fine for months, and than customer had stopped production for a month.
When they restarted the ice bank plant, suddenly they saw that bubbles and oil was coming out of the water, and realized that upper few raws are full of small holes (suroudend by green matter - probably corrosion?).

We have installed cca 20 ice banks like that, and never had any problems.

Anyone has an idea what might happaned or have similar expirience?

Rio:eek:

Grizzly
07-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Rio
Is the water "processed" on-site or is it what we would call Mains or Tap Water.

The reason I ask is,because I am not sure but does not heavily clorinated water (high clorine content) attack the copper.

Something has attacked the Copper by the sound of it.

If the process water is re-cycled after having been used to flush and clean plate heat exchangers for instance.

The cleaning agents used are some " Heavy Duty Chemicals!
Just a thought!!!
Grizzly

Brian_UK
07-03-2008, 09:28 PM
What was the quality of the copper tube installed?

monkey spanners
07-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I've seen this when softened water (slightly salty) has been used to fill the tank.
When they are running the ice seems to slow down the corrosion process.
I have also had one where the manufacturer used silver solder and did not clean the flux away and this caused the joints to leak after time.
As i'm sure you know you can get a corrosion inhibitor to put in them to protect the coil.

Jon