colinacross@hot
07-03-2008, 02:03 PM
could'nt work out how to delete

Josip
07-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi, colinacross@hot :)

Welcome to RE forums...

Hey Guys

I am wondering if anyone can help me. Myself and another guy are serving in the armed forces as refrigeration and air-conditioning engineers. We are currently working towards an NVQ level 3 in Air –conditioning but are finding it very difficult to find the work based experience needed to complete the portfolio. We would be most grateful if any company would be able to offer us the opportunity to gain valuable work experience with them for a few weeks, working on multiple evaporator systems or compressor systems such as VRV/VRF systems. We would need experience in installation, service and maintenance and commissioning. We are both hard working, have our own transport and do not need paying as our wages are covered by the MoD. We have currently just completed our NVQ 3 portfolios in Refrigeration, have Technical certificates in refrigeration and air-conditioning and have CITB in Safe handling and Brazing.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

PS, We need a couple of weeks on reefers as well.

Please, erase one of your posts......no need for cross posting....... I believe someone here will revert to you soon ;) ... it is Friday today .... and pubs are full now:D

Wish you a good luck....

Best regards, Josip :)

Argus
07-03-2008, 04:28 PM

Colin, welcome to the forum and good luck with your chosen path.

Can I inject a little reality?

A recurring issue with individuals who are not employed in the trade and pursing NVQs is the hurdle of obtaining field experience – which you have already identified. Generally, this can only be done with a contracting or service company. An arrangement that is in many professions termed an internship, but is practically unknown in this industry.

Here’s the problem. Whether you work for a contractor for nothing or not, you are still by proxy an employee while you are working with them.
This means that the company is responsible for your safety (and they don’t know you, so you are an unknown quantity), the safety of others you work with, plus they will have to have sufficient public liability insurance cover for you. This is easier said than done and costs money.

You have already said that you are still employed by the MoD, so it's by no means certain that your terms of employment in the army cover this eventuality. There are all sorts of wrinkles in UK employment law that make this a difficult path to follow. Perhaps you should run this question of gaining the necessary experience past your re-settlement officer for an opinion?

I’m sorry not to have any answers to this, but good luck anyway and keep posting.