PDA

View Full Version : My new job, installing supermarket packs

mrmoto
06-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi all,
I have been on this site for ages but never posted before. I passed basic courses taken at Technique Training in August last year and have been searching for a job in refrigeration ever since. Untill last week I had been having no luck at all. I have been offered a job installing supermarket fridge packs. Does anyone know if this is a good route into refrigeration (as the job initially will not involve commisioning), does anyone know if the commisioning side of this work is difficult to learn (my aim is to become a competant engineer, but with a family and motgage to pay I cant go for the normal full time college / apprentice route)
Any help / comments / support / general chit - chat will be gratefully recieved!
Thanks
MrMoto

Chunk
06-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi Mrmoto

Its not a bab job to kick off with as you are learning how its all put together.

I do this as well and have to commission the plant ready for handover so you get involved with everything ready for opening.

As for the commissiong being hard to learn it depends on your electrical and controller knowledge as the majority of the work involves setting up all the different controllers and every supermarket likes to use different things.

As you say you are just installing to start with but keep close to the commissioning engineer and pick it up as you go along.

All the best.

mrmoto
06-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi Chunk - and thanks for that, I have no experience of controls at present and my electrical knowledge is only part P domestic installation so probably not a great deal of help - but I will do as you suggested, tail the commisioning engineer and watch everything he does. As far as I know I will only be dealing with one chain of supermarkets so that will limit things somewhat.
Thanks again!

Chunk
06-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I would also say that if you can do the installation work for a little while just to get the hang of it then get into the service/faultfinding side and you`ll pick it up in no time.

I also work with just one supermarket chain at present but once youve done one and get lumbered with another its virtually the same but different controls.

At least they all seem to be going back to basic refrigeration at the moment but be prepared for long nights installing and everything on the rush;)

mrmoto
06-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks again Chunk - trust me, i'm prepaired to do anything to succeed in this industry, long shifts, nights, rushing, the lot!
Cheers

frank
06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I have no experience of controls at present and my electrical knowledge is only part P domestic installation so probably not a great deal of help

We've all got to start somewhere, and Part P registered is a good starting point. A good percentage of refrigeration is down to electricals.

On that point, a little story that may make you smile.

Went to a job today that we have just finished installing and hoped to commission ready for hand over tomorrow.

Started up the AC no problem but found that the electrician hadn't yet got around to wiring up the electric heater in the fresh air system.

No probs he says - give me a minute.

True to his word he got right on to it and spent the next 15 minutes connecting up.

There you go lads - all done. :)

Well we switched on but no fans would run and we could smell burning :eek:

It appears that he had wired straight to the elements and bypassed the controller :eek::eek::eek::D

mrmoto
07-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Frank, thanks for the comment. From what I have heard the fridge engineers seem to make better sparkies than the sparkies themselves!!
Cheers for making me feel welcome as a newbie here.
MrMoto

Springbok
07-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Hey mrmoto:D...yep,the best way to learn he refrigertion cycle/system,both mechanically and electrically,is by doing the big installs first.

Like chunk mentioned,one gets to learn how it all gets put together.From there on,servicing becomes a bit easier.Prepare yourself for the long hours and rushing.At the end of the day,its good time and energy well put in...:)

nike123
07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
From what I have heard the fridge engineers seem to make better sparkies than the sparkies themselves!!

I would not stick with that statement. In every imaginable disciplines we have those who knows and those who don't knows his job.

mrmoto
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks Springbok, one thing my new employers wont be able to fault me on is my commitment and desire to learn. And Nike 123 - fair comment, quite rude of me to tarnish all with the same brush and I guess the good work as a whole goes un- posted whereas the bad recieves much comment!

abet_meneses
27-04-2008, 04:32 PM
mrmoto
installation of supermarket refrigeration is challenging one.from multiplexing to commissioning.although you are a newcomer in this field,stick to basic refrigeration,and other comes along the way.good luck.