PDA

View Full Version : Ionizer, is this a good thing?

pmusikman
05-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Hi,

I have a Samsung air conditioning system at home that have the IONIZER feature (prestige ones) and a MPI - micro plasma ion (Vivace).

How those things works? Should I turn it ON wille working?

Thanks,
Best regards

drew71
05-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi,

Should I turn it ON wille working?

Thanks,
Best regards

wille working fine thanks for asking

superswill
05-03-2008, 06:16 PM
"the Plasma Ion,is an ion generator which actively eliminates viruses and other forms of bacteria from the air"

iam sure from memory this works on quite a high DC volt system but as always turn off systems when working on them (where poss)

frank
05-03-2008, 08:27 PM
wille working fine thanks for asking
drew71 - not all members have a good grasp of the English language so we have to be patient and forgiving.

How's your Portuguese?? ;)

Electrocoolman
05-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Boa Noite musikman,

The Plasma Ion uses high voltage (HV) to help purify the air. They have a small HV generator which is connected to a couple of metal grids.

I think this is the principle that it uses:

The HV breaks down ("ionises") the air passing between the grids, producing ozone which has a refreshing effect.....very similar to a lightning and thunderstorm does.

The electrostatic on the grids also attracts very small dust particles out of the air, and therefore requires cleaning regularly.

Use of the ioniser is purely down to choice...can you notice a difference when its on or off?

It will be interlocked for safety, so power is removed when the cover is open.

pmusikman
10-03-2008, 11:19 PM
What I wanto to know is if when the air conditioner is ON, the ionizer function must be ON or OFF.

Is it advisable to be ON?
Is it healthful?

Thanks
Rogério

The Viking
10-03-2008, 11:32 PM
What I wanto to know is if when the air conditioner is ON, the ionizer function must be ON or OFF.

Is it advisable to be ON?
Is it healthful?

Thanks
Rogério

Rogerio,

It does not NEED to be on, the A/C part of your system will work the same whether your ionizer is on or off.

The ionizer is there, working, as a very fine filter, removing smells and "refreshing" the air. If it's useful for you and your installation is something you will have to experiment with.
For example; if your wife is a smoker and you are not, then you would benefit from the ionizer turned on but if you live high in the mountains where the air is clean and both you and your wife are "health freaks" then you might not see any benefit of the additional scrubbing of the air.

nike123
10-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Nothing can replace proper amount of fresh air if outdoor air is of good quality.
Ionizer could slightly improve air quality and help remove some odors.

pmusikman
18-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks,

I think i understand the main idea.
Both me and my wife don't smoke, i dont live in the mountains, so, i will turn the ionizer sometimes.
There's nothing to loose!

Thanks,
Rogério

The MG Pony
18-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I'd recomend it, I run a small ozone generator in my home and it makes it fresher inside and cleans away of any smells :)

Turn it on and see how it changes, I immagine you both will be pleased, but as said, it must be cleaned often depending on amount of dust in your home.

Makeit go Right
19-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Thing about ionisers is that they cause the room decorations to dirty up a bit quicker than they otherwise might.

The electrical charge on the dirt particles make them stick to the wall etc, though I guess the unit is supposed to catch them before the supply air leaves the unit.

Anyone used one for a year or so and notice this, or not?