PDA

View Full Version : Fire Alarm Shutdown

Daikin=Overated
04-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Hello all,

I am undertaking a site survey for a new client (offices) who has Mitsubishi ceiling cassettes supplied via MCB's back at the dis.board.........all perfectly normal there...or so I thought.

I recognised that having spent the last 7 years in retail, there appeared to be no fire alarm shutdown relay/interface fitted between the supply and the fan coils to isolate in the event of fire????

This is an old install (both a/c systems and electrical install) so electrically speaking the 16th edition regs etc weren't in place at the time I would imagine, so maybe shutdown relays weren't compulsory then?

Are fire alarm shutdown relays compulsory now, and in this instance would it need to be retro fitted
to comply?

If so under what Regulation??

Hope business is treating you all kind!!

All the best.

J.

The Viking
04-03-2008, 11:30 PM
My understanding is that recirculating systems does legally not require fire alarm interface.

Insurance companies might still insist on them...but that's another matter.

Daikin=Overated
04-03-2008, 11:34 PM
My understanding is that recirculating systems does legally not require fire alarm interface.

Insurance companies might still insist on them...but that's another matter.

That's interesting to hear Viking!!

I'm a CORGI ventillation scheme member, and am looking to contact them first thing, however I'm trying to make a start on the report now, so figured I could get a head start lol.

Thanks for the quick reply mate!

Daikin=Overated
05-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Can anybody else confirm the above??

get the gauges
05-03-2008, 01:18 AM
This is an old install (both a/c systems and electrical install) so electrically speaking the 16th edition regs etc weren't in place at the time I would imagine, so maybe shutdown relays weren't compulsory then?

The 16th was out when i was training as an electrician 17 years ago, how old is this install ? Are you actually saying that every cassette installed now has to be linked to the fire alarm? I didn't know that i thought it was for supply and extract although hardly anyone does, i didn't know it was a wiring reg either.

Daikin=Overated
05-03-2008, 10:55 AM
The 16th was out when i was training as an electrician 17 years ago, how old is this install ? Are you actually saying that every cassette installed now has to be linked to the fire alarm? I didn't know that i thought it was for supply and extract although hardly anyone does, i didn't know it was a wiring reg either.

Heya.
i was just giving an example of a regulation by mentioning the 16th edition. I'm not suggesting that this is essential on each installation neither, it's common place on pretty much every commercial new install i've worked on lately, and so i'm slightly confused myself.

I think as the viking said it's probably just that some insurers stipulate this and others don't?

It's not a wiring reg.........I didn't word that particuarly well, it's most probably a ventillation regulation if anything or may even come in under fire alarm regs?
That's why I mentioned contacting CORGI ventillation this morning to see if they could conclude this.

Cheers.
J.

frank
05-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Here's an excerpt from the Building Regs Document B (Fire Safety in non domestic buildings).

It doesn't mention the requirement for a fire alarm interlock with ventilation or A/C systems.

I think that most fire alarm interlocks on control panels are written into the spec by the Consultant, but I may be wrong :). It is something that we do in our panels as a matter of course but I don't know why :confused:

Abby Normal
05-03-2008, 02:31 PM
it would depend on what solar system planet zorb is located in.

In the galaxy on the western side of the vast Atlantic way, the solar systems typically require shut down on systems that move 2000 CFM or more of air. Other western solar systems even require shut down if any size system serves an egress corridor.

Ceiling cassettes are not typically located in corridors, so the jedi law would be shut down those 18 kW or greater capacity which would tend to exceed the humble capacity of the minisplits

Daikin=Overated
06-03-2008, 10:18 PM
it would depend on what solar system planet zorb is located in.

In the galaxy on the western side of the vast Atlantic way, the solar systems typically require shut down on systems that move 2000 CFM or more of air. Other western solar systems even require shut down if any size system serves an egress corridor.

Ceiling cassettes are not typically located in corridors, so the jedi law would be shut down those 18 kW or greater capacity which would tend to exceed the humble capacity of the minisplits
--------------------------------------------------------------
Some of what your on please Abby Normal!
You killed that thread. Niceone.:D