PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!!! DAEWOO FRS2031IAL fridge not cooling

ogami_itto
03-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Hello fridge engineers,

i need some help please! i have a daewoo frs2031ial side by side american style fridge freezer, the fridge recently after 3 years has had a mjor problem.

the freezer side works perfectly, and the icemaker makes ice too, however the fridge will not cool.

I have opened the entire fridge up and checked everything, ensures that everythign is dust free where the compressor is and the other fan, and all the pipes are dust free, the fridge as instructed in the installation manual has always had 10cm of space around it for airflow.

the fridge sounds liek its trying to cool, ive opend up the part which houses the fan, and held the door switch in the closed position this spins up and works, ive checked that the fan on the back of the unit next to the compressor is spinning and it works too.

the compressor doesnt sound any louder than its ever been and it comes on and off i'd say at the same intervals that it has done for the last 3 years.

when i say that ive opened everything up, please dont take this to mean i am a engineer on these units like you guys are, its just i dont have a problem working with that kid of stuff or having a look like some people do.

i downloaded a service repair manual from daewoo website and from what i could make out i was supposed to get 32k resistance? from the r-sensor but was only getting 15.2k resistance so i ordered that part online yesterday and expect it to arrive tomorrow am, however i would like some more ideas form you guys before i have to call someone who will charge me to say that i need ot get a new fridge...

all your help greatly appreciated!!!!

nike123
04-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Wait until you change that sensor. Service is sequential job. You are on right path.

paul_h
04-03-2008, 08:17 AM
So the fridge side has it's own fan and evaporator coil?
Is the coil iced up?
Or is this fridge a ducted system where cold air from the freezer is blown into the fridge side?

Be careful about that sensor you ordered, the resistance varies with temperature, the manual may have quoted 32k at 25C, while you may have been measuring it at 15C

ogami_itto
05-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Hello Guys,

First of all thanks for your responses.:)

The sensor arrived yesterday evening (even though i paid for by 9am?):confused:
but it hasnt made any differnce, it still wont cool. being a complete idiot
i think i miss-read the repair manual and and should have checked for that resistance
level on the actual mainboard which is housed on the top of the unit. ( so a waste of £18):o
however at least it proved that the existing sensor was working...
Answering some of your questions about how it cools..
the fridge i beleive uses a duct which it draws in cold from the freezer compartment.
In the fridge next to this duct is a fan, which when encased in its housing produces a
vacuum type effect? which allow it to draw in the cool air from the freezer ( thats my understanding
of it?? ) but there has been no cold air been drawn in...
the unit has a single compressor and next to it is a fan, which switches on anytime the compressor
activated, ive confirmed that there is only one compressor in the repair manual with
has full diagrams of the unit.
heres some details for you:
ModelName: FRS-2031
Refrigent: R134a 190
Cooling System: Fan Cooling system
Defrost System: Fin Evaporator Forced
Defrost Control: Automatic Start & Stop

I have also followed the repair manual and placed the fridge into its self-diagnostic mode
it should have returned an error code if it suspected that there was somthing from with
any of its components, however it returned no codes at all, now assuming that the diagnostics
tests that are doing the testing are running error free, this would mean that no hardware was
at fault.
Ive double checked the back of the unit, where the compressor is housed, carefully gone around
it with a hoover to double double check that there is no dust on any of the components, this part
of the unit is clean.
after all of that, yesterday evening at about 8pm i took all the bits out of the fridge & freezer
shut it down & left the doors taped open. in a hope that if there is any ice that has
formed / blocked the ducts or tubing that i cant get to, it will melt. i will leave this
for the next 72 hours and then turn it back on.
if anyone wants i can email the repair manual, there will definatley be somthings that
i didnt understand or failed to pick up that experienced engineers as you will .
you can email me on & ill email the manual to you, i would have posted a hotlink to the website i
got it from, however it doesnt seem to be available on google anymore??

Please use Private Messaging or download the posters Vcard
Cheers.

nike123
05-03-2008, 03:57 PM
I sent to you a e-mail!

Electrocoolman
05-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Ogami, I think your prolonged defrost could very well prove to be the key....please let us know the outcome.

ogami_itto
05-03-2008, 05:03 PM
hello brainiac (nike123)

i have checked my emails and havent recieved anything today.

frank, sorry for adding my email address in my previous post, it wont happen again.

where are the vcards? also it says i don have access to the private messaging feature, who can help with getting this sorted?

frank
05-03-2008, 05:08 PM
hello brainiac (nike123)

i have checked my emails and havent recieved anything today.

frank, sorry for adding my email address in my previous post, it wont happen again.

where are the vcards? also it says i don have access to the private messaging feature, who can help with getting this sorted?
Go to your Control Panel (User CP) on the top green header bar, then on the left hand side choose Edit e-mail /password under Settings/Options
Private Messaging will be available to you when your post count = 15

nike123
05-03-2008, 07:16 PM
From fast look at manual ,I think you should first measure voltage of fan for fridge part of refrigerator. It should be 14 V when it is on at super refrigeration mode and tel us is that voltage OK.

Also I uploaded your manual at this site for others interested to help you.

http://www.mediafire.com/?oyyjwy3s0xx

ogami_itto
05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Hello Nike123, as soon as the shutdown period for the fridge is completed i will carry out your test.

once again thanks for the help!

ogami_itto
07-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Hello All,

after leaving the firdge switched off for the best part of 2/12 days and then switching it back on it seems to have done the trick, the fridge is now cooling, well done ELECTROCOOLMAN your thought on the answer was correct!!

Thanks to you all who have helped!

paul_h
08-03-2008, 05:45 AM
That just means your evaporator in the freezer was iced up. So you have more work to do as you have a defrost fault.
It's likely you have either a open circuit heater or fuse, or a faulty defrost thermistor on the freezer evaporator.
Could be a faulty control PCB too.

ogami_itto
23-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Hello Guys,

its been near enough 6 weeks since my last post, and just to let you all know that the fridge-freezer is working fine (fingers crossed), if it does anything perculiar i will update you all.

Many thanks for all your help!

SallyT
15-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I am also experiencing a similar problem with my Daewoo FRS-2031IAL. It is approximately 3 years since I bought my fridge freezer & surprise, surprise, just like ogami_itto my fridge & freezer has also stopped cooling. I have been told that it may be the condesor, but am finding it very difficult to locate the part-can anyone help? And does it sound like this is the correct part I need-Many thanks for any help you can give! :-)

SallyT
15-05-2009, 02:38 PM
sorry I mean I need a CONDENSOR!!