PDA

View Full Version : water cooler

EDDC
03-03-2008, 03:22 PM
hi any & all:
i'm jumping from the heat pump division since i got no answers there & hoping someone here can help.
simply put i'm wanting to make a water cooler: 57 degree f (well water) down into the forties using a supermarket condensing unit. i want the heat.
should i use a high , low or medium temp unit?

thanks in advance;
eddc:D

nike123
03-03-2008, 03:33 PM
From what I read in other thread, you want water to air heat pump to heat your discharge air who then is going to be filtrated and recirculated into house. Is that correct?

EDDC
04-03-2008, 12:54 AM
exactly;
just would like a small source of ground water heat to compliment a continuously running air filtration system as needed. presently use a ng heated water coil & will continue that. both will be in the discharge of the filter.
somewhere around 1000-3000btu should be sufficient.
the temp rating of the condensing unit is what i'm not sure of, though i'm guessing a low temp would suck more heat out of the water stream. experimentation is time consuming & expensive.
thanks;
eddc

EDDC
23-03-2008, 05:00 PM
bought a copeland high temp 1/6 hp r134a condensing unit. now need a little help on hx evaporator side. a tev on this small of a unit may not work too well from what i've read so possibly 79" of capillary tube supposedly is the right length, not sure of the inside diameter however. also would like some direction on the length & diameter for the copper evap coil.
controls, interlocks, temp devices all simple stuff but if anyone will advance their opinion on what i really need=grateful.
eddc
---------------------------
if it was easy anyone could do it!

nike123
23-03-2008, 05:43 PM
What is evaporator capacity (heat load of system),
evaporation temperature, condensation temperature and return gas temperature?
Is compressor low torque or high torque?

US Iceman
23-03-2008, 06:48 PM
...though i'm guessing a low temp would suck more heat out of the water stream.

Why guess????

If you are looking for the well water to be about 40 degrees after you cool it, this would require an evaporating temperature of about 35°F. Any colder and you could have freezing problems.

35°F is within the high temperature range of the condensing units.

EDDC
23-03-2008, 09:41 PM
thanks for info;
unit is low torque but could add a capacitor which may help.
rated at about 1000btu@25'f & 1700btu@40'f;
other questions i cannot answer.
i'm sure you all have figured out i'm not an hvac tech
though have worked it many yrs ago at plant work.
i am an instrument tech / m. electrician & love to travel the different path though some are full of stones & yes i have stumbled (but not given up).
still appreciate;
eddc

EDDC
28-03-2008, 02:59 PM
everyone, anyone,someone?;

tentative plans are: about 8' of .031 id cap fed into about 15' of 3/8"od copper which will be enclosed in thermoplastic tubing 3/4" id for hx.
feel free to correct these #s if they look off since they are experimental anyway.

EDDC
--------------------------
bend with the wind to avoid uprooting

The MG Pony
28-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Well I calculated it in Dan cap and at 1700BTU with a 5c evap, 10C at compressor inlet with 35c cond temp, I get 60 1/8" long @ .055 bore.

At that tiny of capacity 15' evap will be plenty big, but I feel you won't get that much effect with such a tiny system, good learner though!

EDDC
28-03-2008, 10:30 PM
thanks "MG PONY"
i had a '60 mga if that's where you're coming from.
bought for $400 in '66, rebuilt motor & trans, sold for $300, then bought 67 triumph daytona, which i sold to set up housekeeping. traded a beautiful bike for a beautiful wife (& still is).
how did i get off the subject?
appreciate the correction, will go that route

EDDC:D

Electrocoolman
29-03-2008, 12:19 PM
What is the condition of the well water? Some water can be very agressive to copper. You might need to test the water and/or use stainless steel pipe for you heat exchanger.

The MG Pony
29-03-2008, 03:02 PM
you may need to mess with the length a bit so start off a bit longer, I assume you have read up about how to use guages and such?

So once assembled and you have a good flow of water going on, tune it so you have the warmest evap tempriture you can get whilst having a super heat of around 20 degrees, and make sure your discharge doesn't go over 165 degrees F

EDDC
29-03-2008, 11:28 PM
ELECTROCOOLMAN;
water is about 6.5 ph & has iron, but copper plumbing has held up for thirty yrs so hopefully no problem, will stay aware though, so thanks.

MG PONY;
yes, have gauges & am gathering peripherals now. this may take awhile.
bought a COLDFLOW two ton geo in sept 07, didn't work correctly from day one; 165'f would have been great temp; i had 101'f at discharge compressor & lousy suction / head pressures. factory finally agreed to take it back & send a new one; still waiting.
appreciate all help
EDDC :D