PDA

View Full Version : Training at Home

Latte
12-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Anyone know of any GOOD/USEFULL refrigeration/AC courses that can been studies at home. Like most of using this site its begining to go balistic work wise so an evening course is probably out of the question as i never know when i will be home.
Is there a city & guilds at home course and if so anyone know how to get info on it.

wesmax
13-06-2003, 04:26 AM
Do you have a chapter of Refrigeration Service Engineers Society near you they have a very wide veriety of courses for HVAC
and Refrigeration , of course here in Canada we have a lot of
RSES Chapters.
Wes Maxfield CM

frank
13-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Training at home sounds real good - but is it really?

Training by books is one thing but you also need hands on experience to become a good tech.

Can you get a roof top unit, supermarket pack or chiller in the home? no - it just can't be done. then there are all the questions you need to ask when you don't understand, - can you ask the wife and get a good technical answer? - no.

What about all the hours we have spent just looking at a machine operating finding how it is running compared to how it should be running? This sort of learning doesn't come out of books.

Go get yourself enrolled at the local college where you can learn off a real tech with hands on experience.

frank

Tony
25-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Well said Frank

wesmax
29-06-2003, 06:22 AM
yes but the two things do go together hands on and books
wes

wesmax
29-06-2003, 06:22 AM
yes but the two things do go together hands on and books
wes

phil.knowles
22-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Has any one tryed the software from www.kotza.com ?
It looks very expencive .

Gary
22-07-2003, 09:06 PM
And then, once you get past the basics, for trouble shooting and fine tuning, there is:

www.techmethod.com (http://www.techmethod.com)

Latte
23-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Hello Phil
The Software from Kotza IS VERY EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!!

However if you have got the same FREE !!!! CD as i have (The one given out at the Show in Birmingham earlier this year) it looks excellent. I don't think for the costs involved in purchasing the software many people will buy it just fo themselves bur for anyone who is in the training buisness or intends to train their own staff in house i can't think of a better software package.

P.S. NO i'm not on commision !!

frank
23-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Hi rdocwra

The CD given out at the AC & R show in Birmingham is date stamped and will or even maybe has expired. We have the software on licence and find it very good. The new version is a great improvement on the old one and allows multiple rooms etc on the ac heat load calcs. The coldwind and cellarwind are also good. Sure saves a lot of the manual calcs.

It really comes in to it's own when the client or consultant says "can you send details of your calcs?", just print out and post.

£350 or thereabouts isn't expensive for a good reliable and accurate program. We got ours on offer from SRW @ £165

Frank

iceman007
08-02-2004, 02:04 AM
Hello

I don't know of any City and Guilds courses that can be taken at home, because it just isn't possible to undertake the practical side unless you can attend either college or a training institution.
The NVQ courses also involve an element of workplace assessment from the college, as well as the inclusion of a brazing and electrics assessment.
Some of the best courses I've done have been run by the various manufacturers, depending on whether it's air con or refrigeration you are looking for. The VRV and VRF courses in particular are very informative.

Slusher
23-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Hello all
I am new here.
I stumbled upon this website, and have been just browsing around so far, but does anyone have any good ideas for training, particularly with visual aids. Ideally I would want a training simulator where one can actually see the refrigerant changing state within a system, but havent found one within the budget.
We hold basic ref courses for a network of dealers that we support in the dairy industry.

Chillers, refrigerated milk tanks/cond. units, heat recovery units

Thanks

FreezerGeezer
24-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Try www.refrigerationbasics.com

I haven't tried the software myself, but the examples on the site look good.

Gary
24-03-2004, 11:21 AM
It's a very good basic course. Gets you ready for my books :D

iceman007
24-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi

If you are looking for this type of training, I can't really help you with training centres in the US, as I'm based in the UK. I do know that you are able to buy training software that does a similar thing and helps with fault finding. It's the Kotsa training suite. If you want the website address to have a look, I can e-mail it to you. Alternatively I have some contacts in Maryland and some of the other states on the eastern seaboard, who I could probably ask.

Regards
James

Slusher
24-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Yes, I would be interested in any leads you would have.
Thanks!

iceman007
25-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Slusher

The software you could look at is the Kotza Training suite, called refribase. It has working examples, so you can see how the system works and try fault finding etc (still no substitute for experience though). I believe the software is quite expensive to buy, but I've used it myself.
There is a company over here in the UK called business edge ltd that can supply it. If you give me a couple of days or so I'll e-mail you the direct web address, as I shall be working away for a day or two, and then in the next couple of weeks I have to go to Waco (texas)

Regards
James

Slusher
25-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Yes, I would like that address if you could send it.

Thanks

Tony
26-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Try www.kotza.com and email: kotza@kotza.com.

These are direct to the company. :D

iceman007
26-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Slusher

Just got back. Tony has found the address. If this doesn't work you could try a company over here called business edge who suppply the stuff. The web is www.businessedgeltd.co.uk, or try and fax Sarn Europa on 00 44 1792 700234 or e-mail Gjrees@sarneuropa.co.uk. Hope this helps.

James

iceman007
27-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Slusher

You can try www.refrigerationbasics.com which is an AMerican site

JAmes