PDA

View Full Version : Gasket Removal. A Handy Tool!

Grizzly
01-03-2008, 09:06 PM
The other week, like many others before me I suspect?
Saw me spending hours struggling to remove completely all traces of old gasket. Which on the York J's and PC's that I was "top end" overhauling. Consists of Their new style locktite impregnated gaskets. They have an orangy red bead around their perifery. And are an absolute bitch to remove.
Anyway the wisened Engineer that I was with, who is even "longer in the tooth" than me said "borrow mine"! (My Supervisor)
It was absolutely brilliant and it worked on the principle of the blade being drawn towards you. Opposed to most of my ones which you push away from yourself. The finish you could get on the casting faces was literaly brilliant!
This scraper was a Bahco Ergo 650 I truely recommend one. I intend to get 1 and have been looking on ebay where the best price at the moment is just under £15.00.
Read this as a handy little tip guys and hopefully it will help those, who like me still have to rebuild or overhaul Comps occasionally.
Grizzly

GHAZ
02-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Hello Grizzly i got an old thick metal saw blade which i got from a metal workshop about 11 years ago and i sharpened it on a grinder to use on hitachi screws and it works a treat and hardly ever goes blunt

PaulZ
02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi GHAZ
I have used the same thing for many years.
You can also get a file and grind an edge on the bottom. With a handle fitted it allows you to get a lot of pressure on it and doesn't hurt your hand.
Paul

josef
02-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi,
thought am as though hack saw blade use only near me - is that a world's helper. Josef

US Iceman
03-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Just a quick note concerning personal safety...

Some old gaskets may have asbestos in them so don't use a wire wheel or anything that creates a lot of dust!;)