PDA

View Full Version : Blood Bank Cold Rooms

Samarjit Sen
01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
For assessing the heat load for Blood Banks, I need the Specific Heat above Freezing, Below Freezing, the Latent Heat of Fusion and the Freezing Temperature of Blood Plasma. I have looked in the Google and contacted some Blood Banks , but no one has been able to help.

Could any member help me with the above details in IP units.

With best wishes,

Samarjit Sen
03-03-2008, 08:13 AM
How do I assess the heat load of a refrigeration plant for the storage of Blood Plasma. Can any one help please.

tony--1
03-03-2008, 09:37 AM
HI
cannot help with heat load .but if blood freezes people end up dead. when i worked in blood banks temps were +2 c +/- 1

Samarjit Sen
03-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I agree that the temperature required for storage of blood is + 2 oC , Blood Plasma is - 35 oC and Platelet is - 40 oC. Now for working out the requied Heat Load for the suitable refrigeration system, I would like to have the details as stated above in my original post.

powell
03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I need the Specific Heat above Freezing, Below Freezing, the Latent Heat of Fusion and the Freezing Temperature of Blood Plasma. I have looked in the Google and contacted some Blood Banks , but no one has been able to help.

Samarjit,

Blood/Plasma

SH above freezing .96
SH below freezing .45
Latent Heat 110

I have these numbers hand written in my design book. I've used them for years but don't remember where I got them, it probably was Heatcraft or Hussmann.

The blood bank freezers I've designed were all -40 F (-40 C). Some had a cooler anteroom +35 F (2 C) which helped tremendously reducing heat gain and ice build up on the freezer door.

I've learned to use a reputable box manufacturer who has experience with this low temp. No less than 6" urethane walls, floors and ceilings. Heated PRV's, magnectic door gaskets and seal the heck out of the box. Even with anterooms I've seen problems with icing on the doors when the evaps blow directly on the door.

My experience is with using conventional refrigeration equipment and R404A. The evaps should have adjustable defrost termination switches, motors with low temp grease and have 4 FPI. The condensing unit should have an oil separator, suction accumulator, flooded low ambient controls........all the bells and whistles.

What I'm saying is to use a good box/equipment manufacturer who has experience with this application and take their advice.

I know you will get some great advice from others in this forum. Take it all in before you start.;)

Samarjit Sen
03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Thank you very much Powell. These are exactly what I wanted. We have done some Blood Bank Cold Rooms and had maintained the temperatures of - 40 oC in the Platelet Storage and - 35 oC in the Plasma Storage. I had done the Calculation by assuming the details of glycol 25% with water. Maybe the plant were oversized, but the result was good.

Now I wanted to be more accurate and as such wanted these figures.

Thank you once again.

smpsmp45
07-03-2008, 08:11 AM
I am sending you few papers on this. I can not post them here due to large size.