PDA

View Full Version : Correct Charge?

Rotax100uk
29-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Could anyone advise me as to a running pressure of a R134a Coolzone fridge/freezer please?

Gauges read 20psi standing and 0psi running on suction?

Does this sound about right?

thanks

Springbok
29-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Is the fridge/freezer compartments reaching temp?Does the unit cut out when running down to 0psi?

Rotax100uk
01-03-2008, 08:04 PM
The freezer isnt reaching temp until thermostat is turned t 5 (max) fridge is working fine.

No the unit doesnt cut out when running at 0psi only when down to temp does the compressor stop.

dogma
02-03-2008, 08:01 PM
sounds low on charge. Do you hear a hissing fron the evap?

what's the head pressure at temp?

thebigcheese
02-03-2008, 08:03 PM
how long was it left at standing pressure to reach 20psi? does it not run below opsi at all?

Rotax100uk
03-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Do you hear a hissing fron the evap?

No i hear no hissing from the evaporator

what's the head pressure at temp?

Cannot tell because only have a access point on the suction side.

how long was it left at standing pressure to reach 20psi?

Around 5-10mins i would say

does it not run below opsi at all?

Yes only by a fraction tho

dogma
03-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Put a bullet piercing valve on the dryer tail, or recover and weld in a hi-side acess point. If you don't have a reclaim unit I'll tell you how to recover and reuse with out a cylinder or reclaim unit.

Grizzly
04-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Put a bullet piercing valve on the dryer tail, or recover and weld in a hi-side acess point. If you don't have a reclaim unit I'll tell you how to recover and reuse with out a cylinder or reclaim unit.
Dogma
Please can you tell us more I am intrigued!
Grizzly

Gary
04-03-2008, 04:14 PM
The freezer isnt reaching temp until thermostat is turned t 5 (max) fridge is working fine.

No the unit doesnt cut out when running at 0psi only when down to temp does the compressor stop.

Hmmm... if it gets down to temperature when the thermostat is turned down to max, doesn't that tell us that the refrigeration system is working and the thermostat is opening prematurely?

Why is everyone so quick to put gauges on a system... especially a system that has no gauge access fittings? That piercing valve is just another potential leak.

drew71
05-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Hmmm... if it gets down to temperature when the thermostat is turned down to max, doesn't that tell us that.
It tells us customers say things like...
"it works ok with the fast freeze switch on" "when that huge ball of ice started forming I turned the thermostat up", "that huge ball of ice wasn't there yesterday" i
s it getting down to temp ? or just freezing ?

look at the evap, it will tell you what is wrong

cheers

Drew

dogma
08-03-2008, 04:47 AM
Dogma
Please can you tell us more I am intrigued!
Grizzly

You'l probaly kick me 4 this but....here goes........

1. you will need to buy a few things first.

a. A cheap stainless steel soup thermos.
b. An accumulator. The copper type. (Make sure you check the specs for pressure rating. You want it rated for at least 20% above max discharge pressure/temp.
c. A dryer/filter.
d. Manifold.
e. Bullet piecing valve.
f. Crimp off pliers.
g. turbo torch.
h. brasing rods
i. 2 cps ball valves (FI/MI)

2. braise a schrader valve to both ends of the acummulator and fifit the ball valves. You can fit the dryer/filter between the valve and accumulator if you like.

3. cap the "discharge" side.

4. Pressure test your vessel. (This will only be large enough for small domestic applications and will only be good for a single refrigerant.)

5. put the vessel in the thermos and fill with ice.

- THIS IS YOUR BODGY BROS SERVICE RECOVERY VESSEL - *Patent pending*

6. Put the bullet piercing valve on the discharge of the compressor and crimp the discharge past the bullet piercing valve so the condenser is bypassed.

7. Fit the lines and guages.

8. Turn the compresor on.

- Make sure you watch the suction pressure-

9. Now you have recovered the system refrigerant. You can weigh how much is in the vessel.

-----------------------------------------------------

The end.

dogma
08-03-2008, 05:06 AM
Is this a cyclic or frost free unit?

The MG Pony
10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Alternitive to dogmas fine post go on ebay and for thirty or les bucks get a nice handy 16oz charge n check cylinder!

dogma
17-03-2008, 08:32 PM
sweet, I'll check that out. :)

The MG Pony
17-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Another thought to is check evaporator super heat. but ya go on ebay you get them dirt cheap, all you have to do is replace seals, you still come out ahead though.